Thread: Xtr m952 or x9

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Xtr m952 or x9

Got my choice of rear derailleurs. X9 long cage or xtr m952 medium cage. Got a azonic ds2 I'm building into more of a trail bike. 1x9, fsa v drive crank, psylo 130mm forks. I've heard good things about both derailleurs, but not sure if a long cage would be ok with my setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Borjawil View Post
    Got my choice of rear derailleurs. X9 long cage or xtr m952 medium cage. Got a azonic ds2 I'm building into more of a trail bike. 1x9, fsa v drive crank, psylo 130mm forks. I've heard good things about both derailleurs, but not sure if a long cage would be ok with my setup.
    Either is fine but each necessitates their own proprietary shifter. Do you have a shifter set in mind already? Also, is the m952 a Rapid Rise version? The medium cage will be snappier shifting but the long cage will take up more chain slack, really depends on what is more important to you. There won't be the same amount of difference as in going from a short cage to a long cage so you might not even notice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Are you saying they have to have the shifter that goes with the derailleur? No idea if its the rapid rise. Would it say it on it? No idea on a set yet. Thinking ill go with the x9

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Are you saying they have to have the shifter that goes with the derailleur? No idea if its the rapid rise. Would it say it on it? No idea on a set yet. Thinking ill go with the x9
    Yeah, rear derailleurs usually need matching rear shifters, brand wise, although I think that some people are running Sram rear derailleurs with some new 10 speed Shimano stuff because the pull ratio is the same or close to being the same.

I'm not sure how to distinguish Rapid Rise from normal on the actual derailleur, RR will put the the rear derailleur on the largest cog with no tension, the reverse of a normal derailleur.

That being said, I like Sram for rear derailleurs and Shimano for front. Mostly aesthetics at this point, Shimano rear derailleurs (other than m950-953) are butt ugly. Sram front derailleurs for any model are butt ugly.

Maromero
    No idea if its the rapid rise. Would it say it on it? No idea on a set yet. Thinking ill go with the x9
    XTR 952 is Rapid Rise

≈ > ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    XTR 952 is Rapid Rise
    Nope.
    950 was 8 speed, 952 was the beginning of 9 speed.
    The 953 was the rapidrise version of the 9 speed 952 model.

The 952 is an awesome derailleur. Run it with 9 speed XTR shifters for a great setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    After the 950 and 952 series, XTR went downhill. That is a killer derailleur you have - - especially it being a medium cage which became almost impossible to find towards the end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    After the 950 and 952 series, XTR went downhill. That is a killer derailleur you have - - especially it being a medium cage which became almost impossible to find towards the end.
    I run a m952 medium cage with an XT shifter on my wife's Trek 8900. My build of her bike is on here somewhere. She has no idea how good she has it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

mtbr member
    ope.
    950 was 8 speed, 952 was the beginning of 9 speed.
    The 953 was the rapidrise version of the 9 speed 952 model.
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim View Post
    N
    The 952 is an awesome derailleur. Run it with 9 speed XTR shifters for a great setup.
    If you get a hold of a set keep them they just work running them on my Intense 5.5

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    As much as I love the old XTR M952 gruppo - I say go X9. The M952 had an incredible amount of chain slap, out on the rough. If you want zero chain slap, and full RD serviceability - get the 9-speed SRAM X0. I put about 3200 trail miles on mine, since 2004 and it STILL begs for more! Since "retired" to my commuter:

"The mind will quit....well before the body does"