mtbr member

XTR M952 creaky crank

so i have the xtr m952 crankset and decided it was time to replace the bb because it was starting to creak.

bought a new bb from jenson and the creaking has stayed...took the arms back off, cleaned and greased them no better...am i missing something? are the arms shot?

cheers,
    koonjo

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Are you sure it is the BB? Spokes? Seatpost? Seat? Stem . . . ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have an m952 setup that I thought was creaking on my 02 Klein Adept Pro. I got rid of it by torquing everything to spec- headset, stem, seat, seat post, pedals, suspension linkages, etc... You could also check the actual rings themselves where they bolt on. Those can come loose over time too. There is a good section on finding creaking noises on Park Tools website... I'm not a wrench but I don't think the arms themselves can creak. They either work, or break LOL.

mtbr member
    like farfromovin said, I would say check your pedals and your chainring bolts.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    thanks guys, it was actually the bolt that attaches the rings to the arm on the drive side...just to be sure i tightened everything else, the headsset was a little loose too.