Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    72

    Cool-blue Rhythm XTR M952 Crank with Retro-Disc and Race Face Rings

    There have been a number of threads posted about options for updating Shimano LX, XT, and XTR cranksets with new rings. I bought the Hershey Retro-Disc off Ebay and the Race Face Race Rings in 5 bolt standard. I have about 100mi on it so far and have had no strange creaks or any other issue. Just smooth, silent pedaling and shifting. The rings are highly recommended. Here's what my setup looks like.

  2. #2
    JmZ
    JmZ is offline
    Reformed Lurker
    Reputation: JmZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,015

    Looks Nice...

    Quote Originally Posted by ccwenk
    There have been a number of threads posted about options for updating Shimano LX, XT, and XTR cranksets with new rings. I bought the Hershey Retro-Disc off Ebay and the Race Face Race Rings in 5 bolt standard. I have about 100mi on it so far and have had no strange creaks or any other issue. Just smooth, silent pedaling and shifting. The rings are highly recommended. Here's what my setup looks like.

    I'ts got a good look to those cranks. Everything looks like it mated up well.

    JmZ
    JmZ

    From one flat land to another.

    Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    546
    Are there different versions of this spider? (XT vs XTR?) Do you mind saying what you paid for it? I want to do the same ( replace XTR 952 crankset with new rings, keep m950 BB and 952 crank arms )

  4. #4
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    Are there different versions of this spider? (XT vs XTR?) Do you mind saying what you paid for it? I want to do the same ( replace XTR 952 crankset with new rings, keep m950 BB and 952 crank arms )
    There are at least two versions of this spider. A thicker version for old eight speed LX and XT cranks that came with one piece integrated big ring/spiders. Then a thinner version for XTR (and M750 XT). On eBay if you just pick the auction for XTR, you should be fine.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    546
    thanks- I saw the auction, it was clear. Unfortunately, I decided I couldn't go that route ( I have a set of compact rings I could use, but the spider works for standard - better option anyway) I am going to bend over and buy replacement 68mm/112mm rings for the XTR. Big ring will work for a bit longer.

  6. #6
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    thanks- I saw the auction, it was clear. Unfortunately, I decided I couldn't go that route ( I have a set of compact rings I could use, but the spider works for standard - better option anyway) I am going to bend over and buy replacement 68mm/112mm rings for the XTR. Big ring will work for a bit longer.
    You can get nice replacement middle and granny rings from Salsa for much less than XTR...

    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=468

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    72

    Idea!

    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    thanks- I saw the auction, it was clear. Unfortunately, I decided I couldn't go that route ( I have a set of compact rings I could use, but the spider works for standard - better option anyway) I am going to bend over and buy replacement 68mm/112mm rings for the XTR. Big ring will work for a bit longer.
    Shimano makes spiders for these cranks, and they are available for purchase. Just ask at your LBS. If they don't know, direct them to Bicycle Technologies Part number for 5-bolt 74/110mm is SH20500; 5-bolt 58/94mm is SH20600, and 4-bolt 64/104 is SH20601. Each one will run you about $40. They sometimes come up on ebay. I just bought a "Retro-Disc" spider from 2001rocket on e-bay. It is a machined spider for 74-110, and I am going to be using the new Race Face Race Rings on it.

    This is a repeat of what I posted in This Thread

    I believe that I bought the Retro-Disc for $30.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    546
    Yup, that's what I went with. Hopefully Salsa rings will hold up - thought I saw some negative reviews, but haven't been able to find them today. Saw one post (homebrew, you had a reply in it) that said they were decent rings.

  9. #9
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwenk
    Shimano makes spiders for these cranks, and they are available for purchase...Each one will run you about $40.
    I don't know. Last I checked the Shimano spiders were about $40 shop cost (i.e. $60-$70 retail).

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563

    Idea!

    contact larry metler, i got mine from him.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 06:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •