mtbr member
    May 2009

XTR M952 Crank Chainring Options

Hi guys;

I'm considering to buy M952 xtr cranks. The LX set I'm using right now is a little long and wide for me (175mm) I want to have a shorter and narrower set. The lower Q factor of the M952 is tempting, however I could not find the chainring combo for my like; I'm using 22/32/44 right now, and don't want to go higher than that. I've only seen 952's with 24/34/46 or 26/36/48 w/5 arm spider. Is there any way to make them work with 22/32/44 chainrings? I think Middleburn's 4 arm 64/104bcd spider makes this possible. But will I have to use aftermarker chainrings with this spider? I want to use Shimano chainrings if possible. Please advise..

Thanks in advance for the replies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have only seen them in a 110 bolt pattern. Also, think bottom bracket, they might be hard to come by.

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano chainrings have a slightly longer tab than most aftermarket rings...not sure if this presents a problem with the Middleburn spider or not. But Middleburn, Blackspire, and Race Face (you should be able to get them for quite a while) rings work very well.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I bought the M952 arms! So now, to be more specific; I am looking for to combine the Middleburn 64/104 spider with Blackspire ring set. (As the Blackspire rings received much positive feedback as far as I've seen) Anyone using this combination? Do you see any issues?? Obviously the bcd's do match, but I'm not sure if the inner D of the outermost ring will match too..

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Shimano chainrings have a slightly longer tab than most aftermarket rings...not sure if this presents a problem with the Middleburn spider or not. But Middleburn, Blackspire, and Race Face (you should be able to get them for quite a while) rings work very well.
    Thanks for the advise What do you mean by the "longer tab"? More importantly, do you mean that Blackspire and Middleburn can be combined??

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by burcak
    I bought the M952 arms! So now, to be more specific; I am looking for to combine the Middleburn 64/104 spider with Blackspire ring set. (As the Blackspire rings received much positive feedback as far as I've seen) Anyone using this combination? Do you see any issues?? Obviously the bcd's do match, but I'm not sure if the inner D of the outermost ring will match too..

Thanks for the advise What do you mean by the "longer tab"? More importantly, do you mean that Blackspire and Middleburn can be combined??
    Since you are not using the Shimano rings or spider it is a non-issue
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common