mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XTR M952 bottom bracket/chainline?

Man I am losing my mind over this one. I've tried to search but can not seem to find the answer. I have an older XTR 952 crankset and I am using it for a single speed conversion project. The issue that I am having is the chain keeps droping. After looking at the chainline it appears that it might be off by a few mm's. If I were to go with a shorter bottom bracket it seems like that would fix the solution since the chain line needs to move inward a hair. Unfortunatly, the smallest they make the XTR M952 bottom bracket is 112. My question is two part. Would playing with the 2 spacers and moving them around to one side or the other or taking them off make a difference? Can I use an Ultegra, which comes in 109 with the XTR cranks? My shell is 68mm. Thanks for any help, I really want to use this set-up. Lee.

Former Bike Wrench
    YES...all Shimano Octalink Road bb's use the same pattern (V1) as the XTR bb's (XT, LX, and Deore Octalink is the V2 pattern) so the Ultegra will work.

Good luck

conjoinicorned
    it would be waaaaaay easier, and waaaaaay cheaper to simply adjust the rear cog spacers rather than getting a new bottom bracket. not to mention, a shorter BB and your cranks may contact your chainstays.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would if I could but I am running a White Industries Eno hub and it is not adujstable.

Do It Yourself
    With a 68mm shell, you can use the Dura-Ace (or Ultegra) as long as you have some extra clearance between the chainstay.
    Long Live Long Rides

Which way? Uphill.
    How about putting some spacers between your chainring and your spider? I think I've seen a spacer kit sold somewhere. Google it.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.