mtbr member
    Feb 2005

XTR front derailleur, 8 speed

I need to buy a front derailleur to replace an XTR 950 on my Litespeed. Anyone know which currently available front derailleurs (XTR and XT) are compatible with a Shimano 8-speed drivetrain?

mtbr member
    i've got an xt fd with an 8 speed cassette in back. Shouldn't matter - i believe only shifter and chain need to be 8 speed specific.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

The cage is a tad narrower on the 9 speed fd's but doesn't seem to bother many when used for 8 speed from what I've read, but no personal experience.

Mostly just curious about what went wrong with the M950...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

ride hard take risks
    The front derailleur has no clue, as long as there is 3 sprockets it is giddy .
    You can run 2 chain rings also just adjust the stop screw .

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The large chainring is 46 tooth. Any idea if the newer 9-speed derailleurs can handle a 46-tooth chainring? Everything I have read so far indicates that most them only work with a 44-tooth chainring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nothing went wrong with the old one. My son bought an XTR bike on Ebay for parts and the front derailleur was bottom pull. He needs a top pull, so I want to make sure and find one that is compatible with the rest of the drive train.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeit
    The large chainring is 46 tooth. Any idea if the newer 9-speed derailleurs can handle a 46-tooth chainring? Everything I have read so far indicates that most them only work with a 44-tooth chainring.
    I only run 2 sprockets so my biggest is a 32T. You should'nt have any problem with ad 46T, there is always too much throw in the derailleur & the limmiting screw has to be adjusted. As long as you know how to adjust you wont have a problem .