I <3 29ers

XTR freehub > XT hub?

Honestly, i've never had the opportunity to "play" with an XTR hub, but i'm told there are differences between them and the "normal" Shimano stuff. I'm not interested in paying the money for XTR stuff, but i'm in need of new wheels and i'm going with XT.

So, as the title says, can I put an XTR Ti freehub on an XT hub? Is the thread the same spec so I can at least have the "glorious" Ti freehub and Ti axle combo?

While i'm at it - since I don't know - what's the difference between the XTR stuff and the rest, if any?

Anyone know how much weight this might save????

PATIA!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    It can be done.

I don't remember if it needed an extra shim or not to accomplish it though. Most of Shimano's stuff will play well together, with a few notable exceptions. The freehub might need a different shim than the XT, but that should be it.

Biggest difference between XT and XTR is the Ti freehub and Ti axle. These account for just about all of the weight savings of XTR over XT. Should be looking at about around 2-3 ounces or around 70-80g between the two. There were some threads in the past about it, but don't know how much digging would be required to find it.

Last I remember it was in a thread about Nukeproof and XTR Ti freehubs.

Good luck,

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Honestly, i've never had the opportunity to "play" with an XTR hub, but i'm told there are differences between them and the "normal" Shimano stuff. I'm not interested in paying the money for XTR stuff, but i'm in need of new wheels and i'm going with XT.

So, as the title says, can I put an XTR Ti freehub on an XT hub? Is the thread the same spec so I can at least have the "glorious" Ti freehub and Ti axle combo?

While i'm at it - since I don't know - what's the difference between the XTR stuff and the rest, if any?

Anyone know how much weight this might save????

PATIA!
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Chrome Toaster
    They should be completely compatible. The only difference as mentioned above is the XTR hubs use Ti axles and Ti freehubs. The weight difference is 200g which is rather substantial.

the catalan connection

XTR hubs spin smoother too....

They are built with bearings that have been laser controlled/selected so only the very same exact size are fitted in. Also the rubber seals are much smaller in diameter and built closer to the axle and the dust seals are built outside having no friction(actually not contact) I´m speaking 960´s). Where xt´s have those huge rubber seals.
    To state you can feel the diference might raise controversy...But what are these forums for after all ? I CAN feel it.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot