Thread: XTR freehub

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

XTR freehub

I need an xtr freehub body and can't find any online stores that have them. Any one know of one? What I really need to get the bike fixed is the dust cap on the freehub body. It's the metal cover that goes over the bearings and is what the rubber O-seal/ O-ring on the axle seals against. There is no source for this that I've found. I have a Freehub Buddy that can lube freehubs, but can use it since I end up destroying the seal when removing it.
    Or if anyone has a good condition xtr freehub body that wants to sell me just let me know, or if you know a mail order store. thanks

mtbr member
    Cambria sells the Morningstar seal that goes with the buddy and I understand it works on any 8 or 9 speed Shimano freehub. Also, you can always replace the XTR freehub with an XT or any other Shimano 8 or 9 speed freehub.

Alternatively, take the old seal to a bearing company and get them match it. Unless it is an unusual size this should be very straightforward.

Wombat

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    sheldonbrown.com

any questions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I checked the Cambria and other sites for the freehub seal (dust cap) - no luck. (this is the seal on the dropout side of the freehub, and not the seal at the hub).
    I did try an XT freehub to replace the XTR, but they are not compatible. The XTR has a metal dust cap with a bigger hole than the XT. Also the two have bearing races (for the 1/4 inch) at different distances from the outside edge, so I tried to re-space the axle cones, and that made the rubber seals not fit even if they would work with the metal dust cap. Do I need a different model of the XT freehub? The XTR I am working on is 2001 I think.
    I just emailed the Sheldon Brown.com. They had it listed, but it took me to Harris.com and they don't have it.
    About taking it to a bearing place... is that metal dust cap something that could be found elsewhere?
    Andy

pronounced may-duh
    2001 is that 8 speed? I would go to a good bike shop. I doubt anybody will be able to get just the dust cap/bearing seal but you should be able to get a replacement cassette body. My LBS had 8 speed XT, LX and ultegra cassette bodies in stock all of wich are interchangeable. If yours is 7-speed or the XTR is somehow different they may need to order it.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

All XTR is 135mm

And 8/9 speed. XTR came out initally as a 8 speed group, and then switched to 9.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    2001 is that 8 speed? I would go to a good bike shop. I doubt anybody will be able to get just the dust cap/bearing seal but you should be able to get a replacement cassette body. My LBS had 8 speed XT, LX and ultegra cassette bodies in stock all of wich are interchangeable. If yours is 7-speed or the XTR is somehow different they may need to order it.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    And 8/9 speed. XTR came out initally as a 8 speed group, and then switched to 9.

JmZ

Than i suspect that any decent shop should be able to order you a repalcement XTR cassette body. Just a guess but it probably run you close to 100.00. If the LX is compatable than I think that would cost arround 30.00

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajriding
    I checked the Cambria and other sites for the freehub seal (dust cap) - no luck. (this is the seal on the dropout side of the freehub, and not the seal at the hub).
    I did try an XT freehub to replace the XTR, but they are not compatible. The XTR has a metal dust cap with a bigger hole than the XT. Also the two have bearing races (for the 1/4 inch) at different distances from the outside edge, so I tried to re-space the axle cones, and that made the rubber seals not fit even if they would work with the metal dust cap. Do I need a different model of the XT freehub? The XTR I am working on is 2001 I think.
    I just emailed the Sheldon Brown.com. They had it listed, but it took me to Harris.com and they don't have it.
    About taking it to a bearing place... is that metal dust cap something that could be found elsewhere?
    Andy
    So why don't you pull out the inner seal and replace it rather than the outer one that you can't find? Then you can use lubricate the hub and use the Morningstar seal I mentioned previously. Unless it is the outer seal that you need to replace for some reason.

Would your problem with using an XT freehub be fixed if you also got the XT rubber seal?

Wombat

mtbr member
    I checked the Morningstar instructions and you are right that you need to right hand side dust shield. I also looked at the Cambria site again and this dust shield is for the right hand (drop out) side of the freehub:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=18577

I think the left hand side is referred to as a seal and not a dust shield.

Wombat