Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XTR FC-M960 Crankset. Should I buy it?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Pisgah 
#1 ·
I'm noticing some great deals on the FC-M960 Cranksets now that the new stuff is out. I'm currently running some XT Octalinks that work fine. I like the idea of a nice light stiff crankset but I'm concerned about the proprietary ring setup. Are any 3rd party companies building rings for the M960? Any other reasons why I shouldn't get them?

#8 ·
rockyuphill said:
There's some hot deals on the 970 series XTR too, the extra $90-ish is well worth it to get the new stuff, it's easier to install and adjust for preload and the Ti/carbon middle ring makes shifting super smooth. I bought a set of the 970 cranks from Chainreaction and it was as painless as any other mail order transaction.
+1. I have the 970 and love it.

#10 ·
rockyuphill said:
There's some hot deals on the 970 series XTR too, the extra $90-ish is well worth it to get the new stuff, it's easier to install and adjust for preload and the Ti/carbon middle ring makes shifting super smooth. I bought a set of the 970 cranks from Chainreaction and it was as painless as any other mail order transaction.
I would say if I could afford it I would be willing to pay that extra 90ish but I do not have that much extra money to spend.

I am torn between XTR M960 and XTM770/760 and it all would cost me about the same. It is the rings that worry me.

#11 ·
Unless they use....

Timeless said:
I would say if I could afford it I would be willing to pay that extra 90ish but I do not have that much extra money to spend.

I am torn between XTR M960 and XTM770/760 and it all would cost me about the same. It is the rings that worry me.
... different alu alloy than the other Shimano stuff, I would get the newer XTRs. I wore out my rings pretty fast on my octalink XTs and my HT2 LX cranks. THose things are soft. The TI middle ring (where you spend the most time) oughta last a nice long time. The funky 102mm BCD makes replacement rings expensive for the older XTRs. I think Boone TI rings might be the only ones not mentioned so far.

But Ooooooh! M960 XTRs with Boone Ti chainrings?!? Purdy! $$$, but purdy!

#12 ·
pimpbot said:
... different alu alloy than the other Shimano stuff, I would get the newer XTRs. I wore out my rings pretty fast on my octalink XTs and my HT2 LX cranks. THose things are soft. The TI middle ring (where you spend the most time) oughta last a nice long time. The funky 102mm BCD makes replacement rings expensive for the older XTRs. I think Boone TI rings might be the only ones not mentioned so far.

But Ooooooh! M960 XTRs with Boone Ti chainrings?!? Purdy! $$$, but purdy!
ooo thanks for posting that because when if I go with the m960 I will just switch over to thsoe rings when I wear out my mine

#15 ·
I don't know if I would buy the XTR 960's. My experience with them is that the rings are buttery soft. My 952's were like that too. It's getting so I am afraid of XTR rings in general (I am acared to even look at the price of the 970 rings). I am thinking of downgrading to XT or even a cheap Deore with steel rings and see how long they last (as long as the wieght penalty is not that extreme).

I wish someone would make some good old fasion ramped stainless steel chainrings like the old Onzas or Engagements.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.