mtbr member

XTR Drivetrain Noise

I recently put all new XTR on my Ibis Mojo SL. Cassette, Crankset and chain are all brand new and everything is working flawlessly except for the noise. When I have the bike on a workstand and pedal it there's a decently loud "rachety" chain noise to the whole thing. At first I thought it was the KCNC pulley's I was running but even with the stock shimano ones it's the same. Tne noise also appears to be at the crank side more than the rear but it is at both.

I've checked everything multiple times and there's no rub anywhere. When I ride the thing the shifting and performace is all perfect, and I really don't notice it when moving, but it still bugs me a bit. Any thoughts or should I just ride and calm down?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well it is brand new, so it may need a break-in period. The chain is lubed?

Which way? Uphill.
    Is it noisy in all chainring/cog combos?

I've noticed that I start to get noisy if I'm in the big ring and then start moving up the cassette, it seems to come on with increased tension from the derailleur. It's never affected performance though.

I would double check that you have the right chain length and if it's not a bother while riding, don't worry about it.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

ups and downs
    Was this a replacement drivetrain or is a new build on the Mojo?

Carbon frames amplify drivetrain noise something fierce, I've noticed that on my carbon hardtail compared to the same drivetrain on an alloy bike.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Subtle imperfections on new cassettes and chainrings can make a chain a bit noisy until they break in. Inadequate chain lube makes this a bit worse. If all is well and you barely hear it while riding, ignore it.

BTW- all drivetrains are noisier on the repair stand where they're only inches from your ears and there's no wind or road noise competing.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Chain is lubed, the noise is present in all gear combo's. The drivetrain is a full replacement of the XT the bike came with.

I think I just need to calm down, the bike works perfectly and the point about it being louder on the stand right next to my head is dead on. I've read a few other posts about XTR noise so I'm calming down.

Thanks for the help/suggestions!