mtbr member
    Apr 2007

XTR drivetrain install advice

So, by now it's painfully clear to everybody that I wouldn't be able to earn a life as a bike mechanic. I have installed brand-new XTR cranks and derailleurs but, not knowing much about what I am doing, I cannot get the front derailleur to work properly.

I thought that the cage should be just 1mm over the largest chainring, but that created lots of problems so I pushed the derailleur upwards. This doesn't work either though.

Can somebody say what's wrong and give me some advice on the basis the pictures below? I do feel very stupid...

XTR drivetrain install advice-2013-04-21-18.45.08.jpgXTR drivetrain install advice-2013-04-21-18.44.41.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK guys, forget what I wrote before. I was just too impatient. I have now lowered the cage again, adjusted the cable length, and everything works like a charm.

My only remaining doubt is whether I should shorten the chain. I took two links off the SRAM chain, but maybe another two links would improve the tension...

mtbr member
    Remove the chain from the rear derailleur and run it over the largest chain ring and largest sprocket on the cassette. Note which is the first link that the chain could be joined in this configuration. Now add two links ( one inch). That is the length your chain should be.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Went this morning for a first ride (560m ascent), and it seems like everything works fine. Except that the rear shifter is noticeably harder to push than the previous one. Is that a known fact for the new Shimano XTR gears?

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    Went this morning for a first ride (560m ascent), and it seems like everything works fine. Except that the rear shifter is noticeably harder to push than the previous one. Is that a known fact for the new Shimano XTR gears?
    You mean "clicks" are more solid or the parallelogram is harder to swing?
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Re: XTR drivetrain install advice

It seems to me that the force exerted by the thumb onto the lever of the shifter is at least twice as much as it used to be. Note that I thoroughly lubricated the cable housing, hence cable attrition should not contribute to the issue

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Re: XTR drivetrain install advice

The other question that I have relates to lubricating. I feel tempted to remove the shifter cover and inject a ton of Teflon grease - is that an advisable thing to do? Also, what are the points of the front/rear derailleurs that need greasing, and which lube would you use? My LBS guy once told me to avoid over-lubing the front derailleur, but I am not so sure...

Sent from mobile - apologies for the numerous typos

the catalan connection
    The other question that I have relates to lubricating. I feel tempted to remove the shifter cover and inject a ton of Teflon grease - is that an advisable thing to do? Also, what are the points of the front/rear derailleurs that need greasing, and which lube would you use? My LBS guy once told me to avoid over-lubing the front derailleur, but I am not so sure...

Sent from mobile - apologies for the numerous typos
    A ton of lube might feel fine at the begining, but lube will attract dirt (shimano "seals" only slow down the process), add to that the fact that lube will eventually dry out, and you will end up with a ton of friction. I run my cables almost dry. That proved to give the most consistent performance through time. I clean them like this: put the large ring, large cog combo, then release all the cable tension by shifting back but without actually pedaling. That will slacken both cables and allow remove housings from their ends/stops at the frame. Then slide the housings to expose the cable sections within and wipe the cables with a rag SLIGHTLY wet with lube.
    I also like to lube the derailleurs once in a while by casting some lube drops at the pivots. Some say is not necessary since they are teflon coated, but I think is a nice touch :-)
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

MTB B'dos
    You have the4 new Clutch derailleur, the very stiff feel is compliments of that new feature, if you don't believe me, then flip the clutch "off" and try shifting, see how much easier it is. Feeling kind this AM and since you've actually tried very hard to do this yourself and succeeded it seems I'll pass on some knowledge a lot don't know - the clutch can be adjusted on that XTR RD, just do a You Tube search and you should find the video of how to do it.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids