official eMpTyBRain

XTR Direct Mount Front Der.

Where can I get one of these for a 2010 Specialized Epic???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    This particular bike takes the Direct Mount Derailleur (DMD) which is attached to the chainstay. Go to your friendly LBS and purchase a E-type XTR FD.

official eMpTyBRain
    Then a direct mount front der is simply a E-type with the mounting bracket removed???

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    Then a direct mount front der is simply a E-type with the mounting bracket removed???
    It is on Specialized bikes (at least the full sussys). There are at least 3 "direct mount" FD "standards" being used right now.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Dec 2005

directmount

Anyone know if the XT M770 DMD top swing dual pull will work the same as the XT M771 DMD?
    Need a direct mount front derailer for a triple crank for a specialized epic. The specialized web site says the frameset comes stock with an XT M770 top swing dual pull front derailer but I can only find an XT M771 DMD after market. I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    It is on Specialized bikes (at least the full sussys). There are at least 3 "direct mount" FD "standards" being used right now.

official eMpTyBRain

Try this...

All you need to find is an XT front der. type E-mount. Unbolt the E-mount bracket and you will have a DMD der. This is what I did with an XTR FD M970-E for my Epic. Here's a link from Shimano for the XT E-type :

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html

I am sure that you can order one anywhere. I saw one on eBay today also...

'hawg

Dec 2005

E-mount

Interesting. Thanks, that is good to know. I am still curious as to whether the M770 comes in an aftermarket direct mount. Although maybe the specialized web site has it mis-labeled M770 and it is actually an M771.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    All you need to find is an XT front der. type E-mount. Unbolt the E-mount bracket and you will have a DMD der. This is what I did with an XTR FD M970-E for my Epic. Here's a link from Shimano for the XT E-type :

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html

I am sure that you can order one anywhere. I saw one on eBay today also...

'hawg

Quote Originally Posted by threesixeight
    Interesting. Thanks, that is good to know. I am still curious as to whether the M770 comes in an aftermarket direct mount. Although maybe the specialized web site has it mis-labeled M770 and it is actually an M771.
    Short answer: No.

If your Epic does not have the FD mount on the seat tube, it does not use what Shimano calls "Direct Mount" (M771-D).

As stated above (several times) Specializes DMD uses an E-type FD (M770-E) with the BB mounting bracket removed.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Short answer: No.

If your Epic does not have the FD mount on the seat tube, it does not use what Shimano calls "Direct Mount" (M771-D).

As stated above (several times) Specializes DMD uses an E-type FD (M770-E) with the BB mounting bracket removed.
    M771-D

M770-E
    mtbtires.com

Dec 2005
    Now it is all clear. I was not understanding what a direct mount meant. Thanks 'hawg and shiggy. An E-type front derailer is what I will buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bought a Scott Scale RC frame, and would like to use my Shimano XTR set. Problem is the seat tube is 38.2mm, so Front Derailleur will not fit. I thought that i could use E-TYPE (FD-M970E), but if i use the BB Plate, it's impossible to fix the screw.
    Anybody knows if it will work to takeout the BB Plate like the in the Epic?