Thread: XTR or the Deus

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

XTR or the Deus

Given a choice to choose the between the XTR or the Deus, Which one will you buy assuming both can get at same price?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Xtr

I am on XTR m-960. It is the best, but: XTR is very expensive, and replacment chainrings are also very expensive and there are currently no other rings that can fit.
    I have had my XTR for two seasons now and the bearings are just starting to show some signs of wear. I will probably get new cups/bearings for the '05 season. The rings are still fine. I keep my drivetrain clean and I ride epic xc and some endurance racing. IMO Shimano Cranks are better engineered than anything else: the fact that the arms are hollow allows them to be stiffer and stronger than any other section could be at the same weight (like I-beam etc) Deus look really great though and they are cheaper and the rings are standard sizes so they can be replaced more economically.
    The stiffness of the cranks and the design of the rings make the XTR shift flawlessly. I think some people may underestimate how much of an improvement a stiff setup makes ie: stiffer means: more power to the ground, less (none in my case) chainsuck, and better shifting especially under load.
    If you can wait RF is going to have next (carbon) x-type cranks for '05, and FSA will probably be introducing external BB types as well. No matter what go with an external BB setup

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by opticals
    Given a choice to choose the between the XTR or the Deus, Which one will you buy assuming both can get at same price?
    I would get the deus over XTR simply for what barrows said about it. Overall XTR will shift better but to replace the rings will cost alot. If XTRs chainrings werent such an arm and leg to pay for I would go XTR. But I'm getting the Deus. $200+ saved... I can go buy some new tires with what I saved!

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

Deus

I just took off my XTRs this past Friday night and threw on the Deus. I did leave the XTR cups on, as I haven't faced the BB shell (not too worried as the frame is anno not painted).

I like the Deus. Cheaper chain rings. Easy to get chain rings. Stiff. Sexy looking.

I've had to replace the XTR drive side bearing after 10 months (not sealed all that well and hard to get into to re-grease) and my mid ring is getting near to that point of replacement. And a replacement is expensive and hard to find.

Did have them loosen up on the first ride. Went home, cranked them down, and second ride no problem.
    We'll see about the RF bearing when I get them installed.

Oni likes the Race Face.