mtbr member
    Aug 2007

XTR Crankset questions

I just finished installing new M970 cranks on my 2008 Stumpy FSR Expert. I installed the cranks with one right side spacer and everything tied in well. (I measured the bottom bracket at 73 mm and there was only one spacer on the M762 cranks that came on the bike - if you think the spacers were wrong please tell me as prior to today I thought the bike had a 68 mm bottom bracket).

Main question is - the Q factor of the cranks set up this way appears alot (~5 mm) smaller. There is clearance for the chain rings from the chain stay, but just. A chain link could not slide through. Does this sound right? Are there any problems with this that I need to worry about? Anyone else have an XTR crank on a 2008-2009 stumpy who can comment?

Thanks,

Kevin

ups and downs
    They are about 5mm narrower in Q factor than the XT's. Is the space the same on both sides? I ran XTR cranks on my Slayer SXC with about 3mm of clearance between the crank arms and the rear swingarm on both sides with no trouble,
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is lots of room for the crank arms - it is at the chain ring to chain stay that I am concerned about - any thoughts.

mtbr member
    Kevin,
    The stumpy does have a 73mm B.B. - therefore one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side is correct. You did everything right so the spacing will be fine.