mtbr member

XTR Clutch issues

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I'm getting a grinding/clunking noise from me derailleur, it only really happens when you turn on the clutch. I didn't know if they clutch itself was to tight, I haven't messed with that yet. But like I said when I turn it off the noise goes away. I previously had an XO derailleur and didn't have any issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhUmQxNG-5Y

mtbr member
    Your vid is set to private.

mtbr member
    Thanks Elcaro...should be fixed now.

mtbr member
    Here is step #9 from PinkBikes clutch adjustment article.

Tech Tuesday - Inside Shimano's Shadow Plus Mech and How To Adjust It - Pinkbike

"Step 9 -Engage the clutch lever and run the rear derailleur through the gears in each chainring combination to check for excessive resistance at the shift lever or poor shifting across the cassette. Use the clutch lever to reduce friction and compare results. Too much clutch friction can make shifting feel notchy. Before you pass judgement, however, give your clutch tune a ride test. Not happy? Pop the housing off and reduce or add tension to the friction band one-fourth turn at a time until the chain stays on over the bumps and your shifting feels Shimano smooth."

--------------

Sounds pretty notchy to me, maby worth it to remove a 1/4 turn or so on the friction band adjustment screw.

mtbr member
    So I had a chance to play with it this morning. The B screw was out a little, but did nothing to alleviate the issue. I also adjusted the clutch mechanism from one extreme to the other and that didn't make a difference either. When the clutch is off it shifts like butter.

I'm currently running a X9 cranks with MRP Bling Ring and BB mounted 1x chain guide. I'm also using an 11-36 XT cass and KMC 10spd chain. I've put about 75 miles on these prior to switching to the new derailleur.

mtbr member
    Just to add to this, I talked to Shimano at lunch to get their take on this and they told me to send it in for warranty. Not what I wanted to here, but what are you going to do. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to get it back.

mtbr member
    Just to put a final nail in this coffin...I put on the old stuff and it was making the same noise. Pulled the wheel to see if maybe the cassette was loose. Sure thing...tighten cassette, put wheel back on and no noise.