mtbr member

Good job! XTR chainrings...

Well it's time for at least a new middle and inner for my 962's. Seems like the only options are Sh!mano, Boone Ti or Moonhead Al.
    The Moonheads cost about the same as the XTR's the Boone's are pretty expensive but, I guess, last quite a bit longer. So any one tried the Moonheads? are they as good as or better than the original Xtr's or should I spring for the Boones? Help a guy out
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. I have the same ?

anyone?

J

mtbr member
    Thought you had an answer, oh well.

anyone?
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Moonhead Rings

I have a few rides in on the Moonhead XTR Rings. The downshifting is faster than OE. The upshifting is faster from the middle ring to the big ring than OE, and the shift from the granny to the middle is just a tiny bit slower than with the OE rings. Mine are the "Lunar Hardcoat" versions. No chainsuck or other issues. The Moonhead rings look like they should last longer than OE (they are thicker at the point of chain contact) and they are less expensive than OE rings. It will take a year of use before I really know how good they are though. Oh yeah, Moonhead Rings are lighter than OE as well.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

If you are in a hurry...

you might be interested to know that I ordered a 32T from Boone Ti on 4-15. It still hasn't shipped.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Oh Really?

Everything I've ordered from Boone has been machined and arrived at my door in less than 5 days.

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks, all. Think I'll get a set of the Moonhead lunar hardcoat. If anyone else has opinions post 'em.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Moonhead is great. Their stuff is cool as hell. Unfortunately I don't own any cranks that they make rings to fit yet

mtbr member

Good job!

Just ordered a set of the Moonheads. I'll post a review after a few hundred miles.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Everything I've ordered from Boone has been machined and arrived at my door in less than 5 days.
    I should get you to call them for me! Last email said they were "a little" behind but hoped to get them cut by this past Friday. No word since then.

Arnborg strik

Ta Specialties

Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    Well it's time for at least a new middle and inner for my 962's. Seems like the only options are Sh!mano, Boone Ti or Moonhead Al.
    The Moonheads cost about the same as the XTR's the Boone's are pretty expensive but, I guess, last quite a bit longer. So any one tried the Moonheads? are they as good as or better than the original Xtr's or should I spring for the Boones? Help a guy out
    Also makes nice chainrings for XTR!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ..... as does Middleburn

Arnborg strik

True!!! Middleburn makes 4 arm chainrings

But they do not fit the Shimano XTR 960 crankset!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    But they do not fit the Shimano XTR 960 crankset!!!!
    Yes they do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Re. Middleburn

They are not on their website but you can get them at www.chainreactioncycles.com ......
    slickshift and hardcoded.....note to fashionista's They are grey..... if it matters.

I have some on my geary and they're fab.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Boone ring...

is shipping tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Bigger rings?

Does anyone make bigger rings for the XTR hollowtech e.g: 24-34-46T? I don't mind the current compact setup, but when the time comes I would like to get chainrings more like the old XTR.

the catalan connection

I donĀ“t know about the xtr ones,

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    Also makes nice chainrings for XTR!!!
    But I have a TA specialites large ring on my deore/xt cranks and is really robust and light. And is lasting more than I would expect. Not the best shifting though, but good enough.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member

Good job! Update/first review

I got the Moonhead rings on Friday, but couldn't tget 'em on the bike 'til Sunday morning. They are the hardcoat finish. They look sweet and the tooth profiles are quite nice. Even my son though the ringsloo really cool. Put 'em on, did a rough derailleur adj. and hit the trails. Did a 30 mile loop. From large ring to middle to small the shifing was really quick and precise. Going in the other direction the shifting was a bit slower than my old XTR rings. I did a bit of trailside derailleur adjustment and that helped the shifting speed from smaller to larger. I'll get the der. dialed in and I'm pretty sure that any shifting prob. will go away. No wear noticed on the rings and that's good because with the out of adjustment fr der. I did have a couple of mis-shifts. So far I'm pleased with the rings. I'll update this after some more miles.

kellyme
    On a different note. How do I get a compact setup on my NOS XTR 952 cranks. Would prefer 22-32-44 setup but still like the old Octalink the best.
    Put me back on my bike!