mtbr member
    May 2004

XTR cassette, different cogs

Anybody ever fit a 34T cog on an XTR Ti 8 speed cassette? I'm replacing my 12T & 14T with a 13T (lockring style) and adding a 34T cog. It looks like the spider carrier will act as a spacer between the 32T cog with no futher mods?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by browns110
    Anybody ever fit a 34T cog on an XTR Ti 8 speed cassette? I'm replacing my 12T & 14T with a 13T (lockring style) and adding a 34T cog. It looks like the spider carrier will act as a spacer between the 32T cog with no futher mods?
    I did it. Bought the stuff from http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub.html. All you need is the 34T cog. You are right, the spider carrier acts like a spacer. I used a XT 11-30 8 speed and converted it to a 13-34 8 speed with a 26-30-34 spread at the top end. I love it and can't imagine why more people don't do it.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I did it. Bought the stuff from http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hub.html. All you need is the 34T cog. You are right, the spider carrier acts like a spacer. I used a XT 11-30 8 speed and converted it to a 13-34 8 speed with a 26-30-34 spread at the top end. I love it and can't imagine why more people don't do it.
    you said that all you need is big cog? Don't you need a 13T cog that will accept a lockring(I hope so as I ordered one)? I'm converting a 12-32 to a 13-34 with 28-32-34 spread. I'm old and slow )

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you said that all you need is big cog? Don't you need a 13T cog that will accept a lockring(I hope so as I ordered one)? I'm converting a 12-32 to a 13-34 with 28-32-34 spread. I'm old and slow )
    All you need is a 13T with an attached spacer. The 13T on the XT 11-30 cassette already had this. I ordered a new one anyway so I used it but it was not required.

You will love the mod. I am old and slow also but I still love to ride up all the hills.

thats my red stapler
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    All you need is a 13T with an attached spacer. The 13T on the XT 11-30 cassette already had this. I ordered a new one anyway so I used it but it was not required.

You will love the mod. I am old and slow also but I still love to ride up all the hills.

when you get tired of that set up switch your chainrings out to 42 30 20 assuming you have a compact drive or any combinations you like go to one of the online gear calculators to seee what gear ratios youre actually using. I switched over to a custom ti cassette which goes 14 - 30 and with 20 / 30 gearing i have almost the same as your 22/34
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2004

I thought....

Quote Originally Posted by jimjo
    when you get tired of that set up switch your chainrings out to 42 30 20 assuming you have a compact drive or any combinations you like go to one of the online gear calculators to seee what gear ratios youre actually using. I switched over to a custom ti cassette which goes 14 - 30 and with 20 / 30 gearing i have almost the same as your 22/34
    of that, but didn't see any 20T chainrings offered for 4 bolt cranks? I looked before I went to cog changes on rear.

thats my red stapler
    of that, but didn't see any 20T chainrings offered for 4 bolt cranks? I looked before I went to cog changes on rear.
    yeah that might be a problem i specifically bought compact 58/94 bcd drive cranks to have a bigger availability of chainrings i think that 4 bolt are typically 62/94 whatever it is the inner bolt pattern is too large to go as small as 20t
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]