mtbr member
    Jan 2006

XTR 970 Crank Problem

I went to install my new XTR 970 cranks tonight and I can't get the left crank arm on the splines on the axle tube. It seems as the splines are machined wrong and they won't fit.

Anyone else have this problem?

mtbr member
    Are the bolts on the left crank arm tightened down in the pinch clamp? Is there anything protruding the female end of the left arm?

ups and downs
    On the 970 cranks there's no pinch clamp, even if the preload adjustment ring setscrew is cranked down hard, the cranks should still slide on easily. In fact you should be able to put them on in any increment of 30 degrees. Have a look and make sure your cranks look like these pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Stupid me was assuming they ran off outboard bearings. My oopsie.

Never been much of a fan for the ISIS interface, although my old deore's never caused me any issues.

May seem like a stupid question, but you are trying to push the arm on perpendicular, as well as making sure there is nothing conflicting with the crank arm?

ups and downs
    They are external bearing cranks, but that's a near Octa-link style spindle interface on the non-drive side (12-link more like). And it uses a retaining bolt like a RF Deus crank. But the non-drive crank should just slip on, it isn't even a press or torque-on fit like an ISIS.

mtbr member
    Shows how much I know about this years line-up from shimano....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There's definitely something wrong with this set. They didn't just slide on and there was nothing in the way. Now the splines on the left side crank arm are starting to get buggered up. I'm gonna call Shimano USA and see what they say.

willtsmith_nwi
    I'll bet you're trying to put them on at the wrong angle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I sent them to Shimano a couple weeks ago and the tech called me Wednesday and said he got them to go together. He said it takes a good amount of force to get the crank arm on the bottom bracket spindle. Apparantly I wasn't cranking down hard enough on the fixing bolt as it didn't feel natural.

I'll see when I get them back this week.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Weird. I didn't have any such issues when installing mine. Hope they go on for you this time, they are are most definitely nice cranks.
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep, Just installed mine last night. It takes quite a bit of torque to "press" the non-drive crank arm into the spline. Which was very nerve wracking due the the fact it is an aluminum bolt! But once you hit bottom, set it properly with the torque wrench. I wish Shimano would have supplied a steel bolt just to get it all pressed on and then install the aluminum afterward.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Weird. I didn't have any such issues when installing mine. Hope they go on for you this time, they are are most definitely nice cranks.
    Ditto, not even a press fit on mine. I'd go as far as to say there's a bit of play between the spindle splines and non-drive crank arm without the bolt in place. A big shift from Race Face Deus for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd say mine went on as tight if not tighter than my RF Deus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xterraracer
    Yep, Just installed mine last night. It takes quite a bit of torque to "press" the non-drive crank arm into the spline. Which was very nerve wracking due the the fact it is an aluminum bolt! But once you hit bottom, set it properly with the torque wrench. I wish Shimano would have supplied a steel bolt just to get it all pressed on and then install the aluminum afterward.
    Very glad to hear that. The tech said he got mine to bottom out just fine but I don't see how. I'll get them back this evening so I can check everything out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep, Just got off the phone with tech. support. They said it will be a close tolerance fit. you will need to "press it together with the 8mm bolt. Just be sure it is lined up correctly, start the bolt by hand etc. They said it should take close to 30ft lbs to get the thing together.

I would be nervous if they just slid on.

ups and downs
    It does concern me that they just slip together. This one is spanky new and hasn't been installed yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I got the cranks back tonight and went to put them on as soon as I got home. DAMN it took a lot of muscle for the left crank arm to finally bottom out on the spindle. It definitely doesn't "feel" natural. I had to really crank down hard and keep cranking in slow increments.

Can anyone tell me by looking at the pics if this gap looks normal? I adjusted out the play with the adjusting nut. Just want to make sure my setup is comparable to others.

ups and downs
    That looks normal
    Attached Images Attached Images