mtbr member
    Nov 2005

XTR 960 crankset - stopper plate missing

All,

Just purchashed a xtr 960 crankset for my new ride from JensonUSA. Simple install untill I got to step 6 of the instructions "push the stopper plate and check that the plate plate pin is securely in place ....then tighten"......there is no stopper plate included in the box loose or inserted into the left crank arm.

Any experience out there with the 960 crankset? Does this stopper plate exsist loose or as part of the left crank arm? Does it serve a purpose? Should I have Jenson ship me a new crankset?

mtbr member
    I believ non of the othe Shimano external BB crnaks come with it. You should be okay without it, just make sure you don't overtighten the pinch bolts when installing the crank.

If you do a search on the weight weenie forum, I am sure they have all removed it to save weight.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

Chrome Toaster
    Most of them don't come with it as far as I'm aware. The stopper plate is a security measure for hamfisted mechanics. Torque them down to the appropriate level and you'll be fine. The cranks sold without that for years with no problem.