born again

New question here. XTR 951 Pulley Question

About six months ago I swapped out my worn out XT rear derailleur with an older (unused) XTR 951 RR rear derailleur (the one with the rollamagig thingy built in) and have been using it since. I'm really pleased with it, it works great. Today I took apart the cage to clean up the thing and to bend back a slightly bent tooth on the lower pulley wheel. Now that I put the thing back together I noticed some side to side play in the pulley closest to the cassette. I'm pretty darn sure I put the thing back together right and it seems to shift fine, I just never noticed the lateral pulley play before. Am I good to go? I've got a big ride tomorrow and some peace of mind from someone in the know would be great. Thanks in advance!
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by gearz
    About six months ago I swapped out my worn out XT rear derailleur with an older (unused) XTR 951 RR rear derailleur (the one with the rollamagig thingy built in) and have been using it since. I'm really pleased with it, it works great. Today I took apart the cage to clean up the thing and to bend back a slightly bent tooth on the lower pulley wheel. Now that I put the thing back together I noticed some side to side play in the pulley closest to the cassette. I'm pretty darn sure I put the thing back together right and it seems to shift fine, I just never noticed the lateral pulley play before. Am I good to go? I've got a big ride tomorrow and some peace of mind from someone in the know would be great. Thanks in advance!
    It's likely "normal", especially if "older" - I remember older Shimano drs having slop "built into" guide pulley to facilitate shifting, or some such nonsense .....probably fine, I'd say.....newer ones probably still do have the "slop" (can't rightly say, beings as I rarely touch my dr's unless causing problems, which is about never

born again

Guide Pulley 'Slop'

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    It's likely "normal", especially if "older" - I remember older Shimano drs having slop "built into" guide pulley to facilitate shifting, or some such nonsense .....probably fine, I'd say.....newer ones probably still do have the "slop" (can't rightly say, beings as I rarely touch my dr's unless causing problems, which is about never
    Thanks for the reply, Fuelish. I'm pretty sure there is some 'slop' built into the guide pulley, I just never noticed it before. It seems to still shift fine (even under load when I rode it around the yard) and was probably like that before I took the cage apart. It's only the guide pulley which does this. I wonder if this 'feature' was the brainchild of some long gone Shimano Engineer (I think the XTR 951 dates from around 1999) or do the present day pulleys have the same design? Anyway, thanks for the reply!
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is called a "floating" pulley and, yes, Shimano still uses them. SRAM does not use "floating" pulleys- I have both Shimano and SRAM and they both work fine.

Another item you will notice with the XTR is that both the pulleys run on sealed bearings- they run smoother longer. My "current" XTR is going on its sixth year (about 8,000 miles) without any problems and I am still using the original pulleys.
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    May 2004

I found...

Quote Originally Posted by gearz
    the same derailleur at a garage sale barely used for $10. They work great don't they. I like the idea of shifting: move the big shift levers you go faster, small shift levers to go slower. Going 2 years on mine now. To answer your question: top pully floats couple millimeters, bottom doesn't.