Thread: XTR 8 speed

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

XTR 8 speed

While I was digging through the many storage containers of bike parts etc.

In the bottom of one I found a new never used still in plastic set of old XTR 8 speed brake lever/shifter combos. I had 2 or 3 sets of these from back in the racing days which I got from a sponsor for free many moons ago.

It reminded me of the XTR 8 speed days, which was not to long ago for me, and how well it worked.

Am I crazy for wanting to use these XTR brake/shifter combos and going back to 8 speed?

I remember really liking it and only switched to 9 speed because I got an XTR 9 speed group for free back in the day.

I am thinking I really want to go back to XTR 8 speed.

The old XTR stuff was so good, especially if it is new.

Oh and I have a fairly new old XTR derailleur to go with it

I love finding gems like this mixed in with the other crap

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm currently using the xtr 8 speed on my troll. Has rear cantis to complete the mullet (disc front/shortly ultimate's in the rear)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I, too, am a fan of the older stuff (using a combination of XC-Pro thumb shifters and M-910 XTR rear derailleur on my hard tail), but the main problem you'll have with those is that they are set up for cantilever brakes. You have options to work with that (road disks, travel agents, etc.), but otherwise, there is nothing stopping you from running 8sp unless you feel the need to run the latest and greatest.
    I'm a reasonably fast cyclist, and all my stuff is 8sp - a lack of time in the saddle is what is slowing me down, not 2 extra gears in the back.

That stuff also goes for a song on Ebay, so if you want to make a few hundred bucks, that is a good way to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    I, too, am a fan of the older stuff (using a combination of XC-Pro thumb shifters and M-910 XTR rear derailleur on my hard tail), but the main problem you'll have with those is that they are set up for cantilever brakes. You have options to work with that (road disks, travel agents, etc.), but otherwise, there is nothing stopping you from running 8sp unless you feel the need to run the latest and greatest.
    I'm a reasonably fast cyclist, and all my stuff is 8sp - a lack of time in the saddle is what is slowing me down, not 2 extra gears in the back.

That stuff also goes for a song on Ebay, so if you want to make a few hundred bucks, that is a good way to go.
    Actually my 8 speed XTR lever/shifters are for disc brakes, I use to run them with BB7's all day long without issue.

My concern is finding a decent 8 speed cassette.

I would be running 1x8 with either a 34 or 36 up front and would want to run a road cassette of 12-25 or 12-27/28

I like tall gearing for my terrain

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    I'm either burning through my old stock of XT cassettes (11-28) or any of the perfectly reasonable Sram offerings that go up to a mid-range cassette. Definitely nothing super light, though.
    The thing i've noticed is that my 8sp chains (which admittedly I purchase very cheap ones) seem to have a lot more lateral flex than they should. I suspect name brand chains would not be so noticeable in this regard.
    My drivetrains last a very long time with relatively little maintenance, and shift well enough.

The newer stuff will work better/be quicker shifting, but not enough for me to care.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have two XTR m900 12 x 32 cassettes just lying around in my basement. Neither skip. I'm in Canada, PM if interested.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Pmd

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk