mtbr member
    May 2007

XTR 8 to 9 speed conversion -- help please

I have a Dean Colonel with old XTR including canti brakes and 8 speeds. It has a dead manitou 3 fork.

I have a Ibis bow ti with 8 speed XTR 950 era stuff.

I want to move my old Judy SL fork to my Dean which means I need to switch it to V brake levers. This means I will also need new shifters since the old XTR shifters are attached to the Canti brake levers.

I have been trying to find 8 speed shifters on the Bay but they are rare and new ones go for almost as much as new 9 speed equipment.

Should I just convert my Ibis to nine speed and trickle down eight speed equipment to my Dean?

What is the minimum I need to get to convert 8 to 9? I know I will need a cassette, chain and shifters but can I still use my same derailler and crank?
    Last edited by spyderknut; 06-21-2007 at 12:07 AM.

mtbr member
    for 9spd- shifter(s), cassette & 9spd chain. your crankset & deraillers will work fine. depending on the cassette you get and which cage length in rear, you'll need to watch the der. capacity -ie don't crosschain

bikeman's got NOS xt 8spd shifterpods for something like $70. grab some avid SD brake levers & you're good to go.
    it's up to you whether you want to make the switch to 9spd. you won't have to sweat finding old stock 8spd stuff, but 9spd is more finicky to keep in tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderknut
    I have a Dean Colonel with old XTR including canti brakes and 8 speeds. It has a dead manitou 3 fork.

I have a Ibis bow ti with 8 speed XTR 950 era stuff.

I want to move my old Judy SL fork to my Dean which means I need to switch it to V brake levers. This means I will also need new shifters since the old XTR shifters are attached to the Canti brake levers.

I have been trying to find 8 speed shifters on the Bay but they are rare and new ones go for almost as much as new 9 speed equipment.

Should I just convert my Ibis to nine speed and trickle down eight speed equipment to my Dean?

What is the minimum I need to get to convert 8 to 9? I know I will need a cassette, chain and shifters but can I still use my same derailler and crank?
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bikeman no got

Any other suggestions?

Anyone order from chainreactioncycles?

mtbr member
    Cambria has 8 speed XTs for $60: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=29346

I have ordered many things from Chain reaction and they are fine.

Tim

mtbr member
    Bikeman no got

Any other suggestions?

call cambria to order to make sure it's in stock, just a warning.
    also, universalcycles.com appears to have the xt
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...9&category=772

sram has some 8spd triggers for shimano (attack http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=LD4026 or trx -all over online, but lower down the line), but I've not used them.

- Another option is to use the alternate cable routing with 9spd triggers.
    ala http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

I've used this with 10spd ultegra sti (road shifters) on a 9spd cassette... took a bit of fiddling to setup, but has worked fine for about yr. (on a cross bike)
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Weird, they need to update their website then.

You can take a look at some of Shimano's cheaper options - not as sexy, but work as good.

SRAM Attacks are out there too.

Ultegra 8 and Paul's thumbies for some really old school shifting.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i had the same problem with my bike trying to convert to v-brakes with my old XTR pods. They make a pulley looking thing that doubles the pull of canti levers so you can use them on v-brakes. I will try and find a link as i did this years ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

its called Travel Agent from Quality Bicycle Products (QBP)
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5221

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Don't Do It!

If I had the choice to go back I would, but I have already sunk too much money into 9 spd. the eight speed, never broke a chain... 9 speek, I have broken several. the smaller width chain is lighter, but less burly. Also, who needs to change gears that much? Stick with the 8 speed, or convert one of your bikes to SS!
    "you use rubber (or girl contraception) to protect yourself and your future. Well, I think its better to have a "unwanted child" than a broken neck." - ^vindicator!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878
    i had the same problem with my bike trying to convert to v-brakes with my old XTR pods. They make a pulley looking thing that doubles the pull of canti levers so you can use them on v-brakes. I will try and find a link as i did this years ago.
    Hope these work well -- I decided to go this route and use my old levers.

I have plenty of gears with 8, so I really don't need to do the whole 9 speed thing. Finding parts is a pain though. Next time something breaks, I may be forced.

Thanks for all the input folks. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the SS tip but I have one of those too. A BASS. Mean and green.

MaineMud
    Oct 2004

8 speed XT

We have boxes of them....were you maybe asking for XTR??? They are gone, but we have a couple of XTR integrated 8 speed brake/shifters. Hold on to your wallet though!!!

IMHO, going to 9 speed from 8 speed is a big step backward, but then again, that's why they are called "opinions".

Best,

Davis Carver
    www.bikeman.com

Bikeman no got

Any other suggestions?

whistler
    Mar 2004

singlespeed it!

you seriously need to convert one of those old ti frames to single speed, and sell the other for something from this decade. xc hardtails are fine for racing, but when you've had enough of that (like most of us have), then i'd recommend either increasing the style-factor with a singlespeed, or join us in this century with some rear suspension and modern geometry.

if you don't do that, at least keep your 8 speed setup - way better longevity and less maintenance.