Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

XTR 1x10 or XX1?

Should I wait for XX1 or just go 1x10? My bike is stating without a drivetrain. Is XX1 really worth the wait? No one seems to know when they will get any of the 168 Q factor GXP BB full kits in.
    Last edited by RockyJunky; 01-24-2013 at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm in the same boat. tough decision

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hmm, didn't see that. It's a really good price too. I really want to support my LBS, but they have no idea when QBP or any of the other suppliers will have them in stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So does the XX1 take a specific BB other than BB30 or GXP?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The only reason to get the 11sp, is the flexibility of gearing choices once you go 1x. I'd guess that the chainring choices for a front XTR ring will be more limited than the XX1 crank. If the XTR tooth size choices work for you, then stick with the 10sp.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    I am considering XX1 as well for a new build. The whole kit is going for anywhere from $980 up to $1250 from what I've seen, plus $60-$100 for the rear hub driver for various wheels. I am sure the prices will drop as time passes or Shimano releases something similar.
    I am leaning towards a 1x10 setup with the xx1 crank and ring paired with a type 2 RD to keep the chain in line. Interestingly enough, after checking into prices, you can build a 1x10 setup with a x9 type 2 RD etc for quite a bit less. Comparing this setup to XX1, the weight difference is very small, around 100 grams or so, depending on cassette, chain etc. Has anybody else considered the same?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i've been running an xx1 set with the grip shifter for a few weeks now. the shifter may not be worked out yet, but the drive train is badass to this point. i was running a 2x10 xx setup on my previous bike. the granny gear is basically identical and i lose exactly one gear on the top end.

in the end, when i'm mashing the pedals at 25-30 mph i don't have one more gear. i almost never need that gear. if i'm doing 30 mph for any extended period of time i'm descending, and if i'm descending i'm using my brakes to control my speed more than my drive train.

the jumps between gears aren't weird in the least. it's tight and crisp through the entire range.

also, i've been running it without the chain guide since day 1 and haven't thrown the chain.

Sup
    5 years one post
    Awesome
    I just got XX1 for my stumpy
    No riding yet because of the weather but I am impressed with the quality
    Its going to be a good riding year
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    XTR 1x10 is more expensive than XX1?

If money is no issue then buy XTR now and XX1 in six months when your shop has it.

If money is an issue then get the XX1 crank and run it with whatever until you can get the cassette, shifter, derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm a big fan of 1x10 but late in a long ride I would like more gears. I'm doing XX1 a piece at a time as money allows. I have the XX1 cranks installed already with my other 1x10 stuff with XT brakes.

You could set up XTR now and add the other parts systematically down the road. Also you should be able to find XX1 for under a grand but you still need brakes and Shimano's are the best right now. XTR brakes would be awesome with the XX1 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TBarnaby View Post
    Dang. Had them. Was gonna pull t he trigger when I got home from work, but he was already out of the 168 Q factor GXP. No one can hang on to these for more than a day. Come on SRAM, pump these babies out. Don't release something in August and still not have any in January. Super lame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    5 years one post
    Awesome
    i will have more to say in 2018. enjoy the xx1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I assume you are looking for the 170mm GXP ? I have the same issue / the LBS couldn't fine the GXP 170mm at any supplier.

I'm probably going to buy the crank from upgrade cycles and the rest from my LBS. The other option is to wait for the Specialized spider to come out which is meant to be in the next few weeks according to other mtbr posters.

If you can use 175mm they have the set here for $950:

SRAM XX1 Trigger Shift Kit-In-A-Box 175mm 166Q 32T GXP Crankset 10-42 11 speed; Bottom Bracket Not Included

Disclaimer: I've never ordered from upgrade cycles, so no idea how good they are at shipping on time etc.

EDIT: You were going to buy from ebay for $1180? You can buy each component separately for less than that online.

EDIT2: I ordered the cranks from upgrade cycle. It said it was in stock even after I added to my cart. They charged my credit card and didn't say anything about back order. A few days later I called up to see why it hadn't shipped and they said it was on back order, so I just cancelled it. Even after I got off the phone it only said back order if I added 9 units instead of 1. Pretty poor.

I just ordered from universal cycles instead. It was only a couple of $ more with the vip15 discount code. They shipped on the same day. I'll probably avoid upgrade cycles in the future.
    Last edited by mbco1975; 01-30-2013 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I ordered my XX1 from Upgrade Cycle Works . Free shipping is VIA UPS and they are good about shipping as soon as stuff is instock. I had zero issue with them and have ordered several other items since. They are super friendly too. They are basically a QBP middle man, and my stuff came in a QBP box. They get them instock all the time so the wait is generally pretty short.

I've been riding XX1 for nearly 2 months now and I have to say it is worth every penny. Super quiet and the chain has never once come close to coming off. I was running XTR/X0 2x10 and I wouldn't go back! I've rode some of the roughest local trails and done a bunch of climbing and I have never once wish for a higher or lower gear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I don't know why local shops can't tell you when QBP is supposed to see more XX1 inventory. They can look it up on the dealer website and see. Estimated arrival date for the rear D and crank is 2/1/13. Chain and shifter are looking at 3/15/13 and the cassette is in stock. I'm just missing the rear D and chain for my setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    I am considering XX1 as well for a new build. The whole kit is going for anywhere from $980 up to $1250 from what I've seen, plus $60-$100 for the rear hub driver for various wheels. I am sure the prices will drop as time passes or Shimano releases something similar.
    I am leaning towards a 1x10 setup with the xx1 crank and ring paired with a type 2 RD to keep the chain in line. Interestingly enough, after checking into prices, you can build a 1x10 setup with a x9 type 2 RD etc for quite a bit less. Comparing this setup to XX1, the weight difference is very small, around 100 grams or so, depending on cassette, chain etc. Has anybody else considered the same?
    Where did you see it for $980? I'd buy that right now.

mtbr member
    upgradecycle has them instock for under $1000. I paid $937 for my build kit in early December

https://www.upgradecycle.com/catalog.../result/?q=xx1

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Engineer View Post
    I don't know why local shops can't tell you when QBP is supposed to see more XX1 inventory. They can look it up on the dealer website and see. Estimated arrival date for the rear D and crank is 2/1/13. Chain and shifter are looking at 3/15/13 and the cassette is in stock. I'm just missing the rear D and chain for my setup.
    They did look it up, and yes they usually have an ETA on most items. However, on the full kits in a box they don't give an ETA. I was in the other day and they showed me. He then did the live chat with QBP and the rep said they weren't sure when they were getting more kits in a box, but said he thought it would be sometime in the next month. I need everything in the kit and they're giving me a sick deal on it, so it's worth waiting for. Just getting anxious. Want to ride, it's been spring weather here in CO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    A friend of mine and myself have had the xx1 set up on our bikes for over a month now and it is amazing stuff. It shifts accurate and the gearing is spot on, I never feel like i'm in the need for more gears, and it's amazingly quiet. There is never a thought of a dropped chain either, I couldn't imagine riding a 2x anything set up ever again, you will not be dissapointed.
    2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro(sold)
    2013 Specialized Epic Marathon

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mx231 View Post
    A friend of mine and myself have had the xx1 set up on our bikes for over a month now and it is amazing stuff. It shifts accurate and the gearing is spot on, I never feel like i'm in the need for more gears, and it's amazingly quiet. There is never a thought of a dropped chain either, I couldn't imagine riding a 2x anything set up ever again, you will not be dissapointed.
    Gorilla marketing only works when it's believable!

Dang, Sram is working these board harder than...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post

3 Floyd's Zombie Dust doing the posting last night.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    upgradecycle has them instock for under $1000. I paid $937 for my build kit in early December

https://www.upgradecycle.com/catalog.../result/?q=xx1
    They're out too. As soon as you add to cart it says the item is back ordered. Dumb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post

If they're gonna work it, tell us when we can expect to see a mass quantity dropped on us. Going 1x10, can't wait any longer. Maybe I'll give XX1 a try when it's actually attainable sometime this summer, or when shimano releases a 1x11.

Sup
    the reason I got xx1 was because I was happy with the xo 10 speed gripshift I got for my fat bike
    just to let you guys know Im not a fanboy I am running an xt front derailleur on my fatbike and an xt cassette
    I had juicy 7 brakes "traded them for a case beer" think I got the better deal on that one
    I sold my the reverb seat post
    our trails are not ridable right now so I only had my XX1 on the road
    it is quieter than my single speed "I bounced the bike around and no chain slap"
    it shifts the same as my XO grip shift "nice and crisp"
    if the chain stays on without a guide and it holds up well it is everything they say it will be
    I will find out in march
    till then its fat bike season
    I am slow therefore I am

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast