mtbr member
    Feb 2004

XT761 front derailleur installation question

well... this is the first bike i've built, and i never was much of a mechanic so humor me...

i'm trying to install a shimano XT 761 front derailleur and i can't seem to get the shifters to work correctly. when i install the shifter wires, my front shifter no longer clicks as if it were shifting, instead i just meet a lot of rresistance when i i push the shifter. however, when the cable is connected there is not a lot of tension in the wire. even when i do manage to install the wire with some tension (after a lot of pulling) this doesn't help the problem

2nd problem: even before i tried installing the front shifter cable, i noticed that when the chain was on the small ring up front, it would rub against the front derailleur. i tried playing with the limit screws but this didn't change anything. i also checked the algnment of the front derailleur and that looks OK as well. is there anything else i can do?

any help would be appreciated. if i don't figure this out soon i'm just going to concede defefat and bring the bike to my LBS (where i will get evil looks b/c i bought everything online)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The first problem of the shifter not shifting sounds like you did not shift the shifter into low before attaching the cable to the front derailluer. Disconnect the cable from the front derailluer. Turn the adjusting barrel on the front shifter all the way in and turn it out about a 1/2 turn. Make sure the shifter and the front derailluer are both granny gear position. Reconnect the cable and then use the adjusting barrel to take the slack out of the cable.

The second problem- if the rubbing is occuring when in the granny gear and on the last 2 or 3 small cogs on the rear then the rubbing can be considered normal especially with the new cage design on the M761.