Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

XT or Zee rear mech for 1x10?

Looking for a rear derailleur for my next 1x10 build.

Comparing to XT, Zee is: $20 cheaper, 12g heavier, more durable.
    In other words, price and weights are the same for me. So is there any reason to go with XT if the Zee is supposedly stronger and can handle a crash better? Is there anything the XT derailleur does better?

As far as I can tell Zee has enough capacity for 11-36 cassette, but the XT has excess capacity which can only mean more dropped chains. Another plus for the Zee.
    Does it make a difference that this will go on a Blur? I know the VPP swing arm requires two more chain links than hardtail (or something like that, I tested it once).
    Last edited by CrozCountry; 04-09-2013 at 01:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Waiting for the 29 FS frame to arrive for my 1X10 build. I am usually an XT fan but trying the Zee this build. Figure its designed for 1X10 and found it much cheaper than XT. Going with the Zee shifter and a Wolf ring to bypass a chain guide. Will see how it works by next week.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Looking for a rear derailleur for my next 1x10 build.

Comparing to XT, Zee is: $20 cheaper, 12g heavier, more durable.
    In other words, price and weights are the same for me. So is there any reason to go with XT if the Zee is supposedly stronger and can handle a crash better? Is there anything the XT derailleur does better?

As far as I can tell Zee has enough capacity for 11-36 cassette, but the XT has excess capacity which can only mean more dropped chains. Another plus for the Zee.
    Does it make a difference that this will go on a Blur? I know the VPP swing arm requires two more chain links than hardtail (or something like that, I tested it once).
    I am doing 1x10 and went with the Zee, should be arriving via mail today or tomorrow. I will be using a regular single 10 spd chainring with a top guide. I'm pumped to see how it works out.

mtbr member
    I went with Zee. It is short cage vs XT which is only medium or long.

Major benefit is the increase in robustness at minimal extra weight, and minimal extra cost.

In my opinion, any extra money is better spent on the shifter anyway, where it will offer a more noticeable improvement in shifting over the RD.

reading comprehension wat
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I went with Zee. It is short cage vs XT which is only medium or long.

Major benefit is the increase in robustness at minimal extra weight, and minimal extra cost.

In my opinion, any extra money is better spent on the shifter anyway, where it will offer a more noticeable improvement in shifting over the RD.
    It weighs close to 100g more, at about 341g vs 258g, doesn't it? I'm just going by the Jenson listings. The guy I talked to said they saw it on an actual scale.

Shimano M640 Zee Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop $80

Shimano XT M786 Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop $125

That very XT model was $105 a bit ago, and was about $80 in the outlet a short while ago.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Could be. Claimed vs actual weights, who knows? Either way, <100g is not a lot. I have far more weight to lose than that!

Anyway, if 100g matters that much, you should be considering XTR, not Zee/XT.

Reminds me of someone's signature, stating how they ate 100g of cookies while replying, while some other guys are talking about losing 15-100g somehow off their bikes.

Shimano XTR M986 Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

XTR 214g $240

$240... youch.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Haha, yeah. Beer is my problem. Comes with being a single speeder most of the time I guess!

Well, to cross reference, since there's an unignorable difference in sources, the Zee RD weighs 250g according to Shimano claims and 270g according to Pinkbike (source). Hard to deny the Pinkbike source, as it has pictures. Did the JensonUSA guys weigh it with the box or something?

mtbr member
    Pinkbike compared zee (270) to XT long cage (258) (Tested: Shimano Zee Rear Mech - Pinkbike).

BikeRumor have the Zee at 271 g (Shimano?s Surprisingly Light 2013 Zee Group Unboxed & Weighed - Bike Rumor).

undercover brother
    Got my zee on last night and was able to get in about 6 miles. Crisp, accurate, and silent. What more could you ask for?

Off the back...
    I put a Zee on my Mojo HD, and there's one going on my Aurum. It's a burly unit, that's for sure. No ride time yet, but it shifts great in the stand...

mtbr member
    I have a Zee in a 1X9 setup and it is perfect. However, it is not comparable to the XT since, as was already pointed out, it is a short cage vs. the XT which is medium or long. The Zee is basically a short cage SLX Shadow plus. I run mine over a 34-11 cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    I have a Zee in a 1X9 setup and it is perfect.
    Does it work with a 9 speed shifter? Which one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Does it work with a 9 speed shifter? Which one?
    I would like to know too

mtbr member
    Sram 9-Speed. Mine is an X9 with a 990 cassette. Perfect match with Shimano DydaSys 10-speed derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Could be. Claimed vs actual weights, who knows? Either way, <100g is not a lot. I have far more weight to lose than that!

Anyway, if 100g matters that much, you should be considering XTR, not Zee/XT.
    They say that even one gram can make a difference but that's for professional use I guess. If you ride just for fun a few extra g wouldn't be a problem...

mtbr member
    Theoretically, but I challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference between two bikes, one weighing even 100g more than the other.

mtbr member
    The effect of weight depends on where it is; put the weight of your hydro-pack, multi-tool and inflator off your back and put it in your tires and see what you think. A hundred gram difference in tires is huge, in a frame not so much. Handlebars? Yes, I think you can feel that. I know I can and I am just a schmoe who rides the trails for fun. It's the difference in moment of inertia and where you define the pivot of that moment. Curb weight is important to racers, but we weekenders can feel a weight reduction in pivoting/rotating parts, even if the net weight stays the same. Who couldn't feel the difference when they went from thorn-proof tubes with Slime to Stan's tubeless?

mtbr member
    The effect of weight depends on where it is; put the weight of your hydro-pack, multi-tool and inflator off your back and put it in your tires and see what you think. A hundred gram difference in tires is huge, in a frame not so much. Handlebars? Yes, I think you can feel that. I know I can and I am just a schmoe who rides the trails for fun. It's the difference in moment of inertia and where you define the pivot of that moment. Curb weight is important to racers, but we weekenders can feel a weight reduction in pivoting/rotating parts, even if the net weight stays the same. Who couldn't feel the difference when they went from thorn-proof tubes with Slime to Stan's tubeless?
    We are talking derailleur here not wheels. And we are also talking about 12 grams, 0.1% of an average mountain bike

mtbr member
    While I do agree with you as far as rotational weight might go, I really really challenge you to tell me you can tell any weight difference between RDs. Not feel/crispness of shifting, but weight.

mtbr member
    I probably couldn't tell the difference in a derailleur that was a half pound heavier. My apologies if it sounded like I was suggesting that. Quite the opposite; I bought a Zee RD because I knew I wouldn't know the difference. What I was saying is that there are places on the bike that benefit from lighter parts, and the RD is not one of them for me.

mtbr member
    Not a problem. I am never sure myself how much weight I could actually detect at various points on a bike, other than maybe rotational weight. But the RD is definitely not a spot where I think I could.

Butts Up Fast!
    Sram 9-Speed. Mine is an X9 with a 990 cassette. Perfect match with Shimano DydaSys 10-speed derailleurs.
    Wait a minute! Are you saying that a SRAM X9 9 speed shifter works with a Shimano Zee 10 speed rear derailleur? I am about to drop some $$ on a Zee setup to replace my X9 setup. But this could say me some serious coin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebreaker View Post
    Wait a minute! Are you saying that a SRAM X9 9 speed shifter works with a Shimano Zee 10 speed rear derailleur? I am about to drop some $$ on a Zee setup to replace my X9 setup. But this could say me some serious coin.
    This also implies that any sram 9 speed shifter (XO,X9,X7) will work with any shimano 10 speed rear derailleur (Deore, SLX, XT, XTR, Zee, Saint)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast