Results 1 to 40 of 40
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,347

    XT or Zee rear mech for 1x10?

    Looking for a rear derailleur for my next 1x10 build.

    Comparing to XT, Zee is: $20 cheaper, 12g heavier, more durable.
    In other words, price and weights are the same for me. So is there any reason to go with XT if the Zee is supposedly stronger and can handle a crash better? Is there anything the XT derailleur does better?

    As far as I can tell Zee has enough capacity for 11-36 cassette, but the XT has excess capacity which can only mean more dropped chains. Another plus for the Zee.
    Does it make a difference that this will go on a Blur? I know the VPP swing arm requires two more chain links than hardtail (or something like that, I tested it once).
    Last edited by CrozCountry; 04-09-2013 at 12:08 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    613
    Waiting for the 29 FS frame to arrive for my 1X10 build. I am usually an XT fan but trying the Zee this build. Figure its designed for 1X10 and found it much cheaper than XT. Going with the Zee shifter and a Wolf ring to bypass a chain guide. Will see how it works by next week.

  3. #3
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Looking for a rear derailleur for my next 1x10 build.

    Comparing to XT, Zee is: $20 cheaper, 12g heavier, more durable.
    In other words, price and weights are the same for me. So is there any reason to go with XT if the Zee is supposedly stronger and can handle a crash better? Is there anything the XT derailleur does better?

    As far as I can tell Zee has enough capacity for 11-36 cassette, but the XT has excess capacity which can only mean more dropped chains. Another plus for the Zee.
    Does it make a difference that this will go on a Blur? I know the VPP swing arm requires two more chain links than hardtail (or something like that, I tested it once).
    I am doing 1x10 and went with the Zee, should be arriving via mail today or tomorrow. I will be using a regular single 10 spd chainring with a top guide. I'm pumped to see how it works out.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    I went with Zee. It is short cage vs XT which is only medium or long.

    Major benefit is the increase in robustness at minimal extra weight, and minimal extra cost.

    In my opinion, any extra money is better spent on the shifter anyway, where it will offer a more noticeable improvement in shifting over the RD.

  5. #5
    reading comprehension wat
    Reputation: dv8xin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I went with Zee. It is short cage vs XT which is only medium or long.

    Major benefit is the increase in robustness at minimal extra weight, and minimal extra cost.

    In my opinion, any extra money is better spent on the shifter anyway, where it will offer a more noticeable improvement in shifting over the RD.
    It weighs close to 100g more, at about 341g vs 258g, doesn't it? I'm just going by the Jenson listings. The guy I talked to said they saw it on an actual scale.

    Shimano M640 Zee Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop $80

    Shimano XT M786 Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop $125

    That very XT model was $105 a bit ago, and was about $80 in the outlet a short while ago.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    Could be. Claimed vs actual weights, who knows? Either way, <100g is not a lot. I have far more weight to lose than that!

    Anyway, if 100g matters that much, you should be considering XTR, not Zee/XT.

  7. #7
    reading comprehension wat
    Reputation: dv8xin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    328
    Reminds me of someone's signature, stating how they ate 100g of cookies while replying, while some other guys are talking about losing 15-100g somehow off their bikes.

    Shimano XTR M986 Rear Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Rear Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    XTR 214g $240

    $240... youch.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    Haha, yeah. Beer is my problem. Comes with being a single speeder most of the time I guess!

  9. #9
    reading comprehension wat
    Reputation: dv8xin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    328
    Well, to cross reference, since there's an unignorable difference in sources, the Zee RD weighs 250g according to Shimano claims and 270g according to Pinkbike (source). Hard to deny the Pinkbike source, as it has pictures. Did the JensonUSA guys weigh it with the box or something?
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    Pinkbike compared zee (270) to XT long cage (258) (Tested: Shimano Zee Rear Mech - Pinkbike).

    BikeRumor have the Zee at 271 g (Shimano?s Surprisingly Light 2013 Zee Group Unboxed & Weighed - Bike Rumor).

  11. #11
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    881
    Got my zee on last night and was able to get in about 6 miles. Crisp, accurate, and silent. What more could you ask for?

  12. #12
    Off the back...
    Reputation: pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,070
    I put a Zee on my Mojo HD, and there's one going on my Aurum. It's a burly unit, that's for sure. No ride time yet, but it shifts great in the stand...
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

  13. #13
    What? There's more?
    Reputation: tyrebyter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    554
    I have a Zee in a 1X9 setup and it is perfect. However, it is not comparable to the XT since, as was already pointed out, it is a short cage vs. the XT which is medium or long. The Zee is basically a short cage SLX Shadow plus. I run mine over a 34-11 cassette.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    I have a Zee in a 1X9 setup and it is perfect.
    Does it work with a 9 speed shifter? Which one?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BXCc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Does it work with a 9 speed shifter? Which one?
    I would like to know too

  16. #16
    What? There's more?
    Reputation: tyrebyter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    554
    Sram 9-Speed. Mine is an X9 with a 990 cassette. Perfect match with Shimano DydaSys 10-speed derailleurs.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Could be. Claimed vs actual weights, who knows? Either way, <100g is not a lot. I have far more weight to lose than that!

    Anyway, if 100g matters that much, you should be considering XTR, not Zee/XT.
    They say that even one gram can make a difference but that's for professional use I guess. If you ride just for fun a few extra g wouldn't be a problem...
    Last edited by Max24; 03-09-2015 at 11:12 PM.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    Theoretically, but I challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference between two bikes, one weighing even 100g more than the other.

  19. #19
    What? There's more?
    Reputation: tyrebyter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    554
    The effect of weight depends on where it is; put the weight of your hydro-pack, multi-tool and inflator off your back and put it in your tires and see what you think. A hundred gram difference in tires is huge, in a frame not so much. Handlebars? Yes, I think you can feel that. I know I can and I am just a schmoe who rides the trails for fun. It's the difference in moment of inertia and where you define the pivot of that moment. Curb weight is important to racers, but we weekenders can feel a weight reduction in pivoting/rotating parts, even if the net weight stays the same. Who couldn't feel the difference when they went from thorn-proof tubes with Slime to Stan's tubeless?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    The effect of weight depends on where it is; put the weight of your hydro-pack, multi-tool and inflator off your back and put it in your tires and see what you think. A hundred gram difference in tires is huge, in a frame not so much. Handlebars? Yes, I think you can feel that. I know I can and I am just a schmoe who rides the trails for fun. It's the difference in moment of inertia and where you define the pivot of that moment. Curb weight is important to racers, but we weekenders can feel a weight reduction in pivoting/rotating parts, even if the net weight stays the same. Who couldn't feel the difference when they went from thorn-proof tubes with Slime to Stan's tubeless?
    We are talking derailleur here not wheels. And we are also talking about 12 grams, 0.1% of an average mountain bike

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    While I do agree with you as far as rotational weight might go, I really really challenge you to tell me you can tell any weight difference between RDs. Not feel/crispness of shifting, but weight.

  22. #22
    What? There's more?
    Reputation: tyrebyter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    554
    I probably couldn't tell the difference in a derailleur that was a half pound heavier. My apologies if it sounded like I was suggesting that. Quite the opposite; I bought a Zee RD because I knew I wouldn't know the difference. What I was saying is that there are places on the bike that benefit from lighter parts, and the RD is not one of them for me.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    Not a problem. I am never sure myself how much weight I could actually detect at various points on a bike, other than maybe rotational weight. But the RD is definitely not a spot where I think I could.

  24. #24
    Butts Up Fast!
    Reputation: Stonebreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Sram 9-Speed. Mine is an X9 with a 990 cassette. Perfect match with Shimano DydaSys 10-speed derailleurs.
    Wait a minute! Are you saying that a SRAM X9 9 speed shifter works with a Shimano Zee 10 speed rear derailleur? I am about to drop some $$ on a Zee setup to replace my X9 setup. But this could say me some serious coin.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonebreaker View Post
    Wait a minute! Are you saying that a SRAM X9 9 speed shifter works with a Shimano Zee 10 speed rear derailleur? I am about to drop some $$ on a Zee setup to replace my X9 setup. But this could say me some serious coin.
    This also implies that any sram 9 speed shifter (XO,X9,X7) will work with any shimano 10 speed rear derailleur (Deore, SLX, XT, XTR, Zee, Saint)

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    463
    It only works on 9spd cassettes.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,347
    This thread is talking about the sram/shimano bastard child

    Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)

    Some say it works and some say need some tweaks. There is a mod photo.

  28. #28
    Boracay Island
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23
    I actually use a Zee crank now and a XT RD. I was already holding the Zee RD before I sent it back to the shop coz I decided to stick with my XT. But now I want to change my RD to Zee again coz of the shorter Cage and hopefully no loose chains. You wouldn't really need the extra capacity because your 11-36 should be enough. I would even suggest going for a 11-32 instead.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    126
    Which Zee derailleurs are you guys using?

    DH = 28T capacity
    FR = 36T capacity

    So if i was running a 11-34 cassette, then i would need capacity for 23T so would get away with either?

    Any preference for the DH type over the FR type?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    I just use the FR type. I am running a 34t chainring with an 11-36 cassette. Even if I was running a smaller range block, I would still probably run the FR derailleur in case I ever changed my mind.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    314
    Just to be clear.
    Is the concensus that the Zee is fine with 11-36 (despite it being described as a short cage mech)?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    80

    Sv: XT or Zee rear mech for 1x10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    Just to be clear.
    Is the concensus that the Zee is fine with 11-36 (despite it being described as a short cage mech)?
    The short cage only means that it can only handle one front ring. The freeride version handles 11-36t cassettes where the dh version only handle 28t as biggest cog on the cassette.

    Skickat från min ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG via Tapatalk 2

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    As long as you are using it with a single ring, then yes.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    126
    Thanks guys.

    I assumed it was capacity of teeth the Zee rd could handle but is actually max cog allowable.

    Now i just checked all my components (after pulling them all off to run SS when i got the bike) to find that i am running 9 speed
    Might see if it will still run with the 9 speed microshift thumbies.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    Just to be clear.
    Is the concensus that the Zee is fine with 11-36 (despite it being described as a short cage mech)?
    I'm running it with a 12- 41 in the rear. 32 front. No problems.
    .

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    29
    Do you know if its ok to use a triple crankset with a single front ring. I have already dropped the big ring and put on a bash, but this really appeals to me. Or is a single ring specific crank the way to go.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrozCountry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by alishock View Post
    Do you know if its ok to use a triple crankset with a single front ring. I have already dropped the big ring and put on a bash, but this really appeals to me. Or is a single ring specific crank the way to go.
    Yes totally possible if you only use the middle ring. Its important to replace the ring with single ring, otherwise the chain will fall all the time. You can also use the original ring with a tight chain guide, like upper and lower, but it's usually more expensive.

  38. #38

  39. #39
    Stand-up philosopher
    Reputation: drwx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    534

    Re: XT or Zee rear mech for 1x10?

    Too late now, but backcountry had that m786 for $54 a few weeks ago. I snagged one.

    --
    Stephen
    --
    stephen


    no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    The Zee rear derail. used with 1x10 setup, one of the best long lasting, best shifting derail. you can get. About the same weight as Xt mid cage. You can't go wrong with this derail., but is only designed for single front ring. The great thing about it's very durable and will last much longer than XT, or XTR. It also works with Twenty6 40 tooth cassette cog add on !!

Similar Threads

  1. Old XT versus new SLX rear mech?
    By biggrumble in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 03:57 PM
  2. New Saint rear mech
    By Qcamel in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 10:19 AM
  3. Alfine vs Rear Mech
    By druidh in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 11:34 AM
  4. Rear Mech Reign X1
    By rondet in forum Giant
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 08:10 PM
  5. Shimano XT rear mech cable rub?
    By MivecGPX in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Members who have read this thread: 15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •