mtbr member

New question here. XT or XTR trigger shifters.

I've been using XTR dual control levers since they first came out and have decided to make a change to trigger shifters. I would like to get XTR triggers and the new XT Servo Wave brake levers. I was just curious though, what are the real differences between the XTR M970 and XT M770 shifters? Is it worth the extra bucks for the XTR?

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

ups and downs
    Multiple downshifts AND upshifts on the XTR. Magic, and the big leap over X-0.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    I've been using XTR dual control levers since they first came out and have decided to make a change to trigger shifters. I would like to get XTR triggers and the new XT Servo Wave brake levers. I was just curious though, what are the real differences between the XTR M970 and XT M770 shifters? Is it worth the extra bucks for the XTR?

Ronnie.
    It gives you the ability to drop 4 gears with one push of the lever, you could probably do that with XT too but XTR has a shorter lever throw.

It has more metal parts and bearings (4 vs 2) too.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I have both the 770 and 970 shifters. Both are great shifters. The XTR has a lighter feel when shifting though and the ability to upshift to more than one harder gear is nice, but I find that in the vast majority of cases, I don't do that. Too, if the throw is different, I can't feel it. The XTR is a bit more adjustable on the bar than the XT, but the XT can be adjusted, or re-positioned, on it's mount.
    If I had to do it again, I'd just get the XT's and spend the extra cash on something else.
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

Quack Attack
    I love the multiple shifting the XTR gives you. Not available on the XT.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    Thanks for that guys. I now have a better understanding of the differences and I think I'll get the XTRs.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    any more opinions on this, I'm in the same position, and I'm still not sure if it's worth it.

ups and downs
    The multi upshifts is worth every penny (unless you're not interested in acceleration ) .

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    right on, that's all I need.

MTBR Demi-God
    I am using the XTR 970 trigger shifters since the last couple of weeks. I also use the XT 770 triggers as well. I do notice that the feel of the XTR is more responsive and smooth than the one on XT. Also, maybe the lever throw on the XTR is less than that of XT, but the difference is not that big.

If given a choice, I would go for the 970s.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for reiterating my decision.

ups and downs
    and here's one of the best deals around. I bought two pairs from these guys.

Rider and Wrench
    I just purchased the 08 XT's and am quite pleased with them they were less than $80 brand new on ebay- VS $155-160 for XTR. I run Full XTR on another bike and it is great but overall it is tuff to justify the cost in most cases (PRO RACER?, etc....) The design of the 08 XT (I think MTB Action just did a review of the 08 XT group) is very close to the XTR and I agree with an earlier thread, unless spend it on something else. We would all love to run Full XTR (some X0) but it all comes down to $$$$.

ups and downs
    To put it in dollars and sense perspective there's about $60 difference (at CRC pricing anyway - $100 difference in the USA) between the XT and XTR shifters, for that you get better bearings, the multiple upshift, and an extra year of warranty. XTR has a 3 year warranty and all the other Shimano bits are 2 years. So you do get more than just the R in the logo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    and here's one of the best deals around. I bought two pairs from these guys.

agreed easily one of the best online dealers that ship world freaking wide.
    really hate it when i try to get something off the net, all ready to pay, and then comes a "we only ship to continental USA and canada, really hate it, yes i know of fraud and stuff, but come on...

sorry for the rant, because i've been trying to buy some stuff from quite a few US websites, and thats what i get almost every single time.

back on topic, if you have the money to burn get the xtr, as most here have suggested, there IS quite a difference.

~~~
    Don't know if OGD makes any difference to you, but the XTR doesn't have them. Some ppl like the OGD, others can care less.