Thread: XT vs SRAM

Schwinn love
    Nov 2005

XT vs SRAM

I've been buying parts for a new build and planned to go with an XT drivetrain (XT front/rear), XT Hollowtech octolink cranks and with the LX shifters from my old bike. But my friend is willing to sell me the rest of the parts I would need as long as I buy them all. This includes his SRAM X.7 trigger shifters, front and rear derailleurs and cassette. Which would be better to keep? I know the X.7 is lower end than XT but people on here seem to really like the SRAM stuff. Also, would I be able to use the SRAM cassette with the XT? I mostly ride Southern California XC. THanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    One nice thing about the current XT rear derailleur is the low normal option (i.e. "rapid rise" where the thumb shifts up just like the front derailleur.) I was tentative about this system, but when I recently had to get a new derailleur, I decided to try an XT low normal (760) and I found that I really like it. It felt very strange at first (which is why I believe a lot of people don't like it), but it only took one ride to acclimate to it, and I find that it actually feels more "natural" to have both shifters work the same way (i.e. finger shifts down, thumb shifts up.) So far, it shifts quite smoothly (better than my previous LX rear) and has given me no problems. I'm using it with the regular Deore rapid fire shifters.

I know what you mean about seeing a lot praise for SRAM shifters/derailleurs on these forums. At the same time, however, I've been using Shimano for a while and I've had none of the problems that SRAM users complain about in regards to Shimano derailleurs -- they work smoothly and in my experience they don't need "constant adjustment" like some SRAM users have said. I have XT front and rear with Deore shifters, and they work great with no fuss. At this point, I would personally go with the XT gear, and I'd recommend the low normal rear derailleur.

Regarding the cassette, I'm currently using a SRAM cassette with an XT 760 rear derailleur (and Shimano chain) and it works fine. Many bikes come from the factory with Shimano derailleurs and SRAM cassettes.

Larry

Schwinn love
    Nov 2005
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Very helpful. Of course, I'm using a M750 front and rear derailleur. So rapid rise isn't an issue. It was cheaper to go this way than dual control. And I figured it would be still be bomb proof. I guess most riders on this board are more into the X.9 or XO stuff.
    Last edited by Trailhappy; 12-13-2005 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to ad