mtbr member
    Jan 2006

XT vs. LX replacement middle ring - differences?

I assume they are basically the same design and material, but the XT costs 35% more.
    Any major difference between the two?
    Side question... how often do you replace you middle ring??
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

rad to the power of sick
    I believe the XT uses 7000 series aluminum (lighter), while the LX uses 6000 series aluminum (slightly heavier, but cheaper).

The main difference is weight, even that is fairly negligible.

You should replace the middle ring when teeth go missing, you notice chainsuck, or your chain starts slipping on the ring.

just along for the ride
    Shimano Al middle rings are known for their lack of durability, Most I get out of a LX is 1200 miles and XT about 1500 miles, get the deore its steel and last about 3000 miles and as a side bonus it makes your chain last longer too cause as the AL rings wear it increases stress on the chain. Steel on steel is the way to go on a drivetrain IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So you both agree that LX rings are slightly less durable than the XT . I think I'll go with the XT then. Thanks for the help
    fab

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable
    So you both agree that LX rings are slightly less durable than the XT . I think I'll go with the XT then. Thanks for the help
    fab
    I don't think that's what they said. Superlight didn't say anything about durability, and Brown said to go with steel deore chainrings instead of the alu LX or XT.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Right, Superlight referred to different materials and different specific weight (sorry Super) but Brown actually mentioned the increased XT durability (1500 vs 1200 mi).
    However 7000 series aluminum is harder and stiffer than 6000 series, so probably the extra mileage comes from the better material used for the XT rings, and not from a different design

thanks
    fab

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    with some luck maybe the new M770 middle ring will help, apparently a steel/carbon construction that should help with durability.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    I believe the XT uses 7000 series aluminum (lighter), while the LX uses 6000 series aluminum (slightly heavier, but cheaper).

The main difference is weight, even that is fairly negligible.

You should replace the middle ring when teeth go missing, you notice chainsuck, or your chain starts slipping on the ring.
    I have weighed new XT, LX and Hone middle rings and they were within 1g of each other...so I bet they are the same...

College Boy
    I would go with the 770 middle ring if possible the teeth are made of steel and they have the same bolt pattern.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Is paying over 1/3 more really worth 300 more miles?