Thread: XT vs Atlas

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

XT vs Atlas

I need the siffest (I'm 200# ) and more reliable, creak free, click free, or any noise free crankset for my old enduro, the stockers are starting to bend, I thougth it was the pedal but got the low pro mag II flat pedals and now I'm sure it is the crankarm, the left one, I think I'm harder with that foot. So I see the Atlas left crank arm is fixed to the axle, so perhaps that give me an edge against the XT, but the weight and availability of the shimano attracts me. but I'm all ears. What do u think, is the XT left arm stiff enough for a 200# agressive rider?
    Should I consider the Hone-LX?

mtbr member
    not sure how weight-sensitive you are, but if you need the stiffest...
    Jensen has a pretty good deal on tripple saint cranks. I don't think they come much stiffer than that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

It is possible

that your crank arm is bent. However, before dropping the coin on a new set, check your bottom bracket spindle. When I first started mountain biking I came form the BMX world. I rode my new mtn bike like a BMX bike and thrashed about 3 BB's in the first 6-9 months. The new bottom brackets are stronger, but I could still see them bending with some hard riding. If it is the spindle, a BB is a lot cheaper than a new set of cranks. If it is the cranks, I might stay away from the newer two piece cranks. If you bend a set of these they might be expensive to replace. With a three piece crank, you can replace the one part that's damaged. Another option besides DH/FR cranks that you might check into is a set of three piece BMX cranks with an MTB BB and spider. They are heavier, but built to take much more abuse. In any event, if you are thinking Shimano cranks, check out chainreactioncycles.com for some of the lowest prices I've seen, even after currecny conversion and shipping.