mtbr member

XT upper pulley - ceramic bushing - lube?

The ceramic bushing in my XT derailleur upper pulley broke the other day. I've got the replacement pulleys in and installed but the upper pulley with the ceramic bushing is pretty noisey, is it okay to lube these? If so with what?

It didn't appear the old ceramic bushing had any lube inside, it was pretty clean.

Thanks,
    phil.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Pro Gold Pro Link

I use that on everything except where bearing grease is called for. And, I only use bearing grease for packing bearings and lathering up the seat post.

How did it break? JRA or some catastrophic crash landing to a 35 foot gap jump?
    Bankrupt the terrorists: commute by bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by long_strange_ride
    I use that on everything except where bearing grease is called for. And, I only use bearing grease for packing bearings and lathering up the seat post.

How did it break? JRA or some catastrophic crash landing to a 35 foot gap jump?
    JRA on a night ride. Didn't know what happend at the time except I couldn't back pedal and the drivetrain felt "mushy".

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I thought the ceramic bushings didn't need lube?
    I think they just need to be kept clean & dry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elzippo
    I thought the ceramic bushings didn't need lube?
    I think they just need to be kept clean & dry.
    I thought so too, until mine squealed like a pig!. Just put a dab of grease on it just like a steel bushing.

mtbr member
    I applied a little grease on it last night. Just in the workstand, but it quieted it down and it seems to upshift easier (the shifting part could just be in my head). Thanks all.