mtbr member
    Aug 2012

XT shadow plus hard shifting?

I recently upgraded several drive train components. I went from SLX shifters and a normal xt shadow rear derailleur to the xt shadow plus and xt shifters.

the cable housings are pretty new and I squirted some lube in there before I threaded the new cables. If I disconnect the cable from the derailleur the cable moves very freely.

My problem is that downshifts just require a tremendous effort from my thumb. I thought initially it was the clutch itself in the derailleur that was causing the effort, but even with the switch set to the off position it still takes a lot more effort than I would like.

I grabbed the old xt derailleur and pulled on the cage for comarrison and the shadow plus has a lot more resistance when the cage moves forward even with the switch off. I tried loosening the clutch adjustment a little bit, and it helped with the thumb effort, but it still not acceptable in my opinion.

I've read so many things on this forum of people liking the shadow plus derailleur that i can't help think that there might be something wrong with mine.

My question is as follows: Should the XT shadow plus M786 with the clutch turned off have the same resistance downshifting as the xt shadow M780? Is the spring tension adjustable or is it possible that I just have a defective derailleur?

Thanks in advance, and i apologize for starting another shadow plus thread, but I wanted to ask a specific question.

mtbr member
    Might just be the new shifters/derailleurs. The SLX shifters have a lot of plastic and require a lighter touch, XT is more solid with metal levers and zero-delay cable movement.

FWIW, I used to hate how light Shimano shifters were and used to run SRAM, rode 10speed XT a few months on a demo bike and decided to go with it on my new bike since it's got a lot of feedback.

mtbr member
    My slx doesn't require any more effort to shift then my pre-clutch derailleurs whether the clutch is on or not. I think you should try a new cable and housing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    the new shifters came with the cables. the housings are like 6 months old and buttery smooth. I just messed with it a little bit more and while it seemed terrible on the stand, It did seem tolerable riding up and down the street. It might be the difference in nature between the slx and xt shifters.

If I go for a ride in the trails and it bothers me, then I may put the old derailleur on just for a comparison and rule out the shifter.

mtbr member
    A new XT shifter and derailleur should not be just "tolerable" in my opinion, that system should shift light and crisp. I've seen plenty of cables that felt absolutely perfect when sliding them through the housing but would feel terrible shift poorly when hooked up, and I could only shake my head and wonder why there was such a dramatic difference in performance when I installed a new cable and housing. Just one of those things I came to accept.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    A new XT shifter and derailleur should not be just "tolerable" in my opinion, that system should shift light and crisp. I've seen plenty of cables that felt absolutely perfect when sliding them through the housing but would feel terrible shift poorly when hooked up, and I could only shake my head and wonder why there was such a dramatic difference in performance when I installed a new cable and housing. Just one of those things I came to accept.
    sounds like good advice. I might grab a new cable tomorrow at my lbs and see if it helps. I suppose if there's no tension on the cable you're not going to be pulling the cable hard against the inside around a radius.

mtbr member

XT shadow plus hard shifting?

I felt the same thing on mine. Really heavy to shift. I decided to install new Jagwire housing and Teflon coated cables. That lightened it noticeably. Still a little stiffer than non-Shadow Plus, but acceptable.

mtbr member
    I have the same setup, I went from the XT to the XT plus. I liked the feel of the plus but did not notice much difference in shifting. I have noticed that if my chain gets dry it is harder to shift but after lube it shifts like silk. I had the deore shifters before the upgrade to XT. In hindsight, the shifter has loosend up some after a few hundred miles. It is not loose, but the shifting has lightend up some. I remember that is was stiff to start.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I replaced my cable and housing this morning and that was certainly the problem. the shadow plus feels great now. Thanks for the advice JB