mtbr member

xt rear derailleur pulley

I recently took my derailleur pulleys out to clean and lube them. The upper pulley's bushing's covers came off. It claims on the side that it is a "sealed ceramic bushing", but it obviously isn't (or isn't anymore). I reassembled the bushing the best that I could. I'm fairly new to doing my own wrenching, so I am not sure if this should have happened or not. I am wondering if my no longer sealed bushing will still be effective or if I should replace it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Chrome Toaster
    The new XT's apparently have bearings on both pulleys. The older models had a ceramic bushing in the top one. Don't worry, the covers come of when you dissaseble it. The pulley bolt is what keeps everything in place. Just make sure you put everything that came off back were it came from and you're good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    The new XT's apparently have bearings on both pulleys. The older models had a ceramic bushing in the top one. Don't worry, the covers come of when you dissaseble it. The pulley bolt is what keeps everything in place. Just make sure you put everything that came off back were it came from and you're good to go.
    Great, thats what I assumed, even though it said it was "sealed", the construction of it led me to believe that it wasn't truly. I got it back together and back in so hopefully it should hold. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpy
    Great, thats what I assumed, even though it said it was "sealed", the construction of it led me to believe that it wasn't truly. I got it back together and back in so hopefully it should hold. Thanks for the help.
    I actually find that it is good to take apart the top pulley when cleaning up the rear derailleur and add a small grease film to the ceramic bushing parts. This helps to make them run squeak free.