mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XT rear cassette Install question.

Hiya,

Just purchased a XT 760 rear cassette for my Giant reign and have a few questions about the install. Compared to the Sram it is replacing it has a pretty poor fit to the splines, after looking around this appears to be normal??
    Also the lockring for it has got a thin shim fitted.. .....now i have taken this off....was that the right thing to do or is it needed to counteract the slop etc....?
    After the first ride I noticed the cassette had come loose so i retightened the lockring to proper tension using a torque wrench. After the second ride it was loose agin WTF.....so I got a bit more aggressive with the tightening.....and haven't had a chance to recheck it this evening.

Is anyone else privvy to these problems....

BTW the Hub is a shimano hub.

Thanks for any help in advance

Pepsifreak760
    Last edited by pepsifreak; 01-30-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsifreak
    Hiya,

Just purchased a XT 760 rear cassette for my Giant reign and have a few questions about the install. Compared to the Sram it is replacing it has a pretty poor fit to the splines, after looking around this appears to be normal??
    Also the lockring for it has got a thin shim fitted.. .....now i have taken this off....was that the right thing to do or is it needed to counteract the slop etc....?
    After the first ride I noticed the cassette had come loose so i retightened the lockring to proper tension using a torque wrench. After the second ride it was loose agin WTF.....so I got a bit more aggressive with the tightening.....and haven't had a chance to recheck it this evening.

Is anyone else privvy to these problems....

BTW the Hub is a shimano hub.

Thanks for any help in advance

Pepsifreak760
    You should NOT take that washer off the lockring. Thats why the cassette is going loose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Previous post is correct. The "shim" you removed is needed to retain the lockring, put it back on.

If your observation of poor fit to the splines is that of a radial displacement. Wheel facing you and cassette moves off the axis of the freehub body (splined part of the hub) radially, then you can cut shims from an aluminum can and insert them between the spider and freehub body to eliminate the radial play.

Chrome Toaster
    The radial displacement is normal on shimano cassettes going back several years. I guess its to accomodate for freehub shell tolerances. Its will not affect the performance in any way once its tightened down.