mtbr member
    Mar 2010

XT Pedal with XT Crank, Pedal Washer?!

Does anyone know for sure if a pedal washer is needed using XT pedals and XT cranks? I just purchased a new crank and pedals and no washers are supplied with either. I can't find a definitive answer and don't want to have problems down the road.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrider502
    Does anyone know for sure if a pedal washer is needed using XT pedals and XT cranks? I just purchased a new crank and pedals and no washers are supplied with either. I can't find a definitive answer and don't want to have problems down the road.
    I've never used washers with Shimano cranksets over the years, nor have I ever seen instructions indicating that they are required.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been using that combination for 2700 miles with no washer and no problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

With Shimano cranks...

if they need washers they'll come with them. I don't know of any current Shimano cranks that do need them or come with them. I've been using Shimano cranks for many years, the last crank set that I had that came with washers was an STX RC set back in 96. Your XT cranks do not require pedal washers.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank you! Appreciate the feedback and confirmation.

NMBP

Slx

My SLX Double crankset came with washers.

Rub it............
    Its going to depend on the crank. Carbon cranks require a pedal washer so as not to cause damage when tightening down the pedals. I haven't seen any alloy cranks that come with washers - yet. My FSA Afterburner crank didn't come with washers and neither did my SLX crankset.

You will be fine without washers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here is the tech doc for the Shimano XT crank and the SLX double...

xt-770

slx-665

the slx double does have a washer while the xt does not. I believe this is because of the steel pedal insert on the slx, since the triple slx (which I have) does not have the washer

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My new XT pedals came with washers. I bought them at Christmas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I prefer to use washers but I'll install pedals without them without any worries (except on carbon, of course. My aluminum Stylos from '05 and '09 both came with washers, the Hussefelts and XT did not. It also depends on the pedals...some don't have a flange large enough to fit well with the washers. I've found the washers to make removing pedals easier, and there's no marring of the crankarm when using pedals that have the usual round base with double flats. Not a huge deal, though....if they come with them or I have some around, I'll use them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Great, no washers needed for XT-770. I looked at the same doc and wasn't convinced or sure I was looking in the right place but the comparison above confirms it.