Living the Dream

Are xt m785 2x10 chainrings compatible with xtr m980 cranks?

Just trying to save a little money on replacement rings.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Living the Dream
    I am also hoping to run a 24/38 AM setup on my xtr 980 26/38 crankset. I think that this will work just looking for some confirmation. I searched this forum and internet and could not find anything conclusive. Thanks for any help.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

More Torque
    The big ring should fit with no issues. Current XTR small rings have a 2mm offset, and unless the 785 small CR has that as well (770 and prior did not), you will need a 2mm spacer to put between the small CR and the crankset.

I've tried 24/36 and 26/38, with Shimano rings on the XTR 970 and 980 cranks with good results. Never tried a 14 tooth jump however.

In case anyone else searches this thread and wants info on FD/Shifter compatibility, here is what I found:

26/38 works fine with 3x FD and shifter in 3x mode. Looks a little odd though. I would prefer to run a 2x FD with this setup, but my frame will not allow the FD to be lowered enough.

24/36 works fine with 2x FD and shifter in 2x mode. Looks just right. I did not try the 3x FD with this, but I suspect that it would work just fine, while looking a bit odd.

-D

Living the Dream
    Thanks--do you have a part number for the spacer? BTW, all the info I could find said a 14 tooth jump was fine, but that was the maximum recommended. They sell an XT AM 785 crankset that is 24/38
    Shimano XT M785 10 Speed 24/38 Crankset with Bottom Bracket in Tree Fort Bikes Cranks (cat93)

I ordered the 24/38 chainrings last night. I will order the spacers also if required.
    Thanks for the help!

More Torque
    I picked mine up locally, but I'm pretty sure that they are the wheels mfg CS-2.2. Don't get the CS-2, as the ID is too large.

-D

Living the Dream
    Diesel thanks for the help. Do you know if the 24 inch blackspire M980 ring will work without having to mess with spacers? Blackspire - SuperPro M980X Chainrings | Blackspire

Also, when you used spacers, did you have to order new chainrings as well?

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Diesel thanks for the help. Do you know if the 24 inch blackspire M980 ring will work without having to mess with spacers? Blackspire - SuperPro M980X Chainrings | Blackspire

Also, when you used spacers, did you have to order new chainrings as well?
    The 24T M980 ring should work w/o spacers, unless they are taking a regular ring and providing spacers along with it, which I doubt. The comments on the page, regarding the fitment for XT and SLX for middle/big also make it look like the small CR is the correct XTR specific one.

When I used spacers, it was to mount an XT or SLX small CR. I will often go steel on the small ring for durability.

-D