mtbr member

XT M780 Vs XT M786

Is the Shadow clutch feature really worth the extra 30 bucks? I like the idea of minimizing chain slap and chain drops. However I don't think the M786 would be as durable with all the extra moving parts, and I've heard of people breaking them from over tightening.

Is any body using the M786? What do you think?

Plays with tools
    I've got a 986, it was worth the extra scratch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    Is the Shadow clutch feature really worth the extra 30 bucks? I like the idea of minimizing chain slap and chain drops. However I don't think the M786 would be as durable with all the extra moving parts, and I've heard of people breaking them from over tightening.

Is any body using the M786? What do you think?
    blue sky cycling has the m786 for $84, $5 cheaper than the m780

I switched from an m780 to an m786 and it made a big difference in the loudness of the drivetrain. Not totally silent, but very quiet.

mtbr member
    786D going for $85US at Blue Sky... if you can use the 'D'. They had both; must be out of the non-D.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    786D going for $85US at Blue Sky... if you can use the 'D'. They had both; must be out of the non-D.
    I don't think that one will work for me. I'm not to sure what they mean by D.R.D. specific mount. I going from an XO rd on a 08 Stumpjumper. It just has a regular derailleur hanger.

Jenson has the M780 for $70 and the M786 for $105 right now. I think I'm leaning towards the M780, I very rarely drop the chain with my current setup.

mtbr member
    Went from an X9 to a Zee Shadow Plus for the chain control but the first thing I noticed was how much quieter the ride was. That alone was worth the price of admission.
    I think the 'D' is a direct mount without the B link.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think I broke Google trying to find out about D.R.D. compatibility. Still not sure. Will most new frames handle the M786 do you think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahmer09 View Post
    I think I broke Google trying to find out about D.R.D. compatibility. Still not sure. Will most new frames handle the M786 do you think?
    New Direct Mount RD Optional Standard Explained - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: XT M780 Vs XT M786

Blue sky is obviously selling an OEM take off or something. The boxed m786 comes with the b-link attached and can be removed as an option for direct mount.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    Blue sky is obviously selling an OEM take off or something. The boxed m786 comes with the b-link attached and can be removed as an option for direct mount.
    So if I were to upgrade my derailleur, go with the m786 even if I don't have a D.R.D. compatible frame? My thought is to get the latest model since the pricing is $5 difference.

mtbr member
    So if I were to upgrade my derailleur, go with the m786 even if I don't have a D.R.D. compatible frame? My thought is to get the latest model since the pricing is $5 difference.
    The one Blue Sky is selling right now will not work for you. You need a regular in box M786. The cheapest price I have found is at Jenson.

mtbr member
    Has Anyone Else Broken a Shimano Clutch RD?

This is the thread I found in the Ibis forum about broken clutches. other than this I've read nothing but good reviews. Sounds like these guys where opening it up and tightening it for some reason.

Plays with tools
    In theory your frame is compatable with the direct mound system all it takes is a different hanger. Since most bikes use a replaceable hanger it isn't a big deal. But bike manufactures seem skeptical to adopt it for some reason. In time somebody like wheels mfg can make their hangers in both styles. From what I've heard they shift better on some of the wide range cassettes that are becoming all the rage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Clutch worth the price...I have one and will put another one on any new build

mtbr member
    I think it's worth it. Quieted down the chain a LOT, and $30 is much cheaper than a chain/roller guide.

I will say that it adds a heavier feel to the shifting. It's not hard to shift, but the super light action is no longer there. I don't care, as I never notice it out on the trail, but it might bug some people.
    "Got everything you need?"