mtbr member

XT M771 thumb shifters Clunk clunk

Ive used XT for 10yrs and the shifters have always been super smooth. I have some brand new thumb shifters M770 and they are the worst made hunk of junk ive ever put on my bike. The shifting is way too deliberate, you must pull pretty hard to get the chain down on front and rear. Pull hard then a audible hard clunk, if it shifts at all. Even with the shifters held in your hand with no housings and the other hand putting tension on the cable it still is difficult.
    Giving them away and thought id never hear myself say this but switching over to SRAM.
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 03-12-2010 at 06:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You seem awfully quick to ditch a product line you've enjoyed for a decade. Have you tried getting a replacement from the store you bought them from? If the shifters sometimes don't shift at all, it sounds like something's wrong with your set.

Especially when used with the newer Shadow style derailleurs the shifting on the M770s may be more distinct and crisp compared to previous generations, but overall I find them pretty slick. I would head down to your LBS and try shifting a number of XT setups to see whether your set might be defective. While you're there you might as well compare them to comparable SRAM setups. If you like SRAM better at that point, then make the switch. Until then it seems rash to give away a brand-new set of shifters.