mtbr member
    Sep 2009

XT M770 vs Truvative Stylo 3.3 Team Crank?

Pricepoint has the Truvativ Stylo 3.3 on sale for $115 new...it is about 9 grams lighter than the XT crank...so lets call it equal weight wise....is it worth me spending an additional $85 to get the XT's new...or perhaps an additional 40 to get them slightly used off ebay ($155)? Anyone have an opinion on these two cranks? I want to keep my cost in check, but don't want to get junk. The stylo seems to get good reviews. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    my bad...i was thinking of the SLX that was 9 grams heavier...the xt is about 30 grams lighter....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    when i was comparing cranksets in a similar price category, I found the raceface deus and truative stylo to be a better deal then xt/slx.

the deus has had some issues- but i hear good things about the stylo.

i went with the deus because... it is the best looking. the primary issue people have had with it is loosening crank arm cap bolts. I figure some locktight and proper torque should remedy that.

Former Bike Wrench
    I personally like my Truvativ FireX GXP cranks and they have been bulletproof for over a year now. That said, the Stylo has had reported crank arm loosening issues and I have one riding buddy who has a set that needs to be tightened about once a ride, even using blue Loctite on the crank arm bolt.

I know they're a bit heavier, but the best deal going IMO is the LX M582 at Cambria Bike for $80 ($100 plus 20% off right now)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'd say get the XT. Every person I've ever know who had truvativ cranks (most had stylo's) had to get new cranks because they were constantly destroying (not wearing out, destroying) the bottom bracket. The deus's are nice, but a guy on my team has had to replace his middle ring a lot, and the cranks are on his spare bike that he hardly rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You really can not beat Shimano Cranks! I'm a reformed Shimano hater, they make "best in class" cranks though out the range.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    how are you getting 20% off of that...is there a code?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by schwendy2
    how are you getting 20% off of that...is there a code?
    Its on the Cambria Bike home page right under the "Huge Clearance Sale" and next to the snake bite kit

mtbr member
    I have firex right now with a gxp bottom bracket.

Take the chain off and spin it it goes round a few times.

My buddies xt/ and non oem shimano's will spin WAY longer and feel sooooooo much smoother than my truvativ.

I'm looking for a nice shimano crank now

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    based on these comments...i am thinking i will go with the xt or perhaps even the slx...stay with shimano, i hear way less complaints.
    thanks

Dirt Deviant
    Good call sticking to shimano cranks.
    The GXP BB are complete garbage.
    I love sram derailluers and shifters, but always run shimano cranks. Never had a single issue.
    I have 3 sets of SLX cranks. They are great.
    I have a set of FireX cranks on a rarely used commuter.....maybe 500 miles on it. The BB is pretty much gone already.
    I have a set of single speed stylos to replace them with. The only reason I bought them is I got em for $40 brand new. Santa Cruz was blowing them out last year as leftover OEM parts. Never would have paid full, or even half price for them though.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Shimano on the cranks. Not even a contest in my mind. That LX deal for $80 is smoking (altho I didn't look at crankarm length choices either). You could always put on lighter rings and bolts if it's that important to you...I wouldn't worry about the weight differences in the Shimano external bb cranks these days too much.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Dirt Deviant
    I threw a set of Race Face team rings on my SLX doubles. Saved a little weight.
    I wouldn't have gone out of my way to do it if I didn't have the rings sitting around already....but the stock rings are heavy-ish compared to them.

Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog
    I have firex right now with a gxp bottom bracket.

Take the chain off and spin it it goes round a few times.

My buddies xt/ and non oem shimano's will spin WAY longer and feel sooooooo much smoother than my truvativ.

I'm looking for a nice shimano crank now
    the spin test is not very good in most appilications of bearings/moving parts. this is because it does not test the bearings when they are under any load. You can check bearings by seeing if they are notchy, grinding, or loose, but the free spin test is useless. If anything, dry, rotten bearings often free spin longer than good lubricated ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Good call sticking to shimano cranks.
    The GXP BB are complete garbage.
    I love sram derailluers and shifters, but always run shimano cranks. Never had a single issue.
    I have 3 sets of SLX cranks. They are great.
    I have a set of FireX cranks on a rarely used commuter.....maybe 500 miles on it. The BB is pretty much gone already.
    I have a set of single speed stylos to replace them with. The only reason I bought them is I got em for $40 brand new. Santa Cruz was blowing them out last year as leftover OEM parts. Never would have paid full, or even half price for them though.
    I think that is the way i am going...sram x9 derailleurs and shifters and shimano xt or slx cranks for my Paragon build. Thanks!

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You always hear about the bad cases, but I have had no issues with my stylos in a year and a half. Are the bottom brackets that come with the fireX cranks the same? It's a step down in the lineup. No maintenance but a little lubrication to the stock bottom bracket, and I have pulled them once for maintenance but found no problems. Nor have I had any problems with the raceface cranks on my cross bike. The only crank I've ever pulled an arm off of was an FSA gossamer, but it might not have been tightened properly.

If I were getting new cranks right now on a budget I would get those LXs or the stylos. I don't think I would spend the extra for XT, though the rings are nice.

Former Bike Wrench
    The FireX and Stylo use the same BB...I have had no problem with mine.