29 some of the time...

XT M760sgs rear derailleur issues

I have been riding one of the new xt r-derailleurs for about a month. It is rapid rise, but other than a couple of miss-shifts that has proven to be a minimal problem. I did have a problem this weekend that I am unfamilliar with. The derailleur became very stiff at it's maximum travels range (high and low). To the point where it wouldn't retract into low gear and I had to click down 2 gears for it to retract from the high gear. Mid range appeared to be unnafected.

I serviced the bike on Friday including a cleaning and oiling of the derailleur (with triflow and a wipedown of excess oil post cycling the derailleur through the gears). The ride was dusty on Saturday. What I am guessing happened was that excess oil on the limit screws and pivots collected dirt and become clogged enough to fubar my shifting. The odd part is that I have never had this sort of a failure in the last 10 years of riding.

Are the new XT/XTR rear derailleurs sensitive to dirt buildup? Rapid rise issue? What do the drivetrain gurus think?

29 some of the time...
    Upon reading a bit further down the forum I came across the same issue.

Anyone else have problems with XT 760 Rear Derailluer?

Guess I whacked the cable anchor at some point coming down the hill. Really is a weak design on Shimano's part. Looks like the anchor boss and berrol adjust are the farthest outboard points on the derailleur. While being the most important ironically they are also the weakest. I think I am going to straighten it out a smidge and then swap over to a SRAM system when budget allows. I am tired of paying shimano ransom for parts that are designed for failure.