mtbr member
    May 2004

XT M760 cassette loose

I replaced the 2004 LX cassette on my WTB laser disc lite hubs with a XT M760 I bought a while ago. There is some play where the cassette can be wiggled back and forth. The LX had no play and no shims or anything was needed. I thought I read somewhere that there was a problem with the early XT M760 cassettes being slightly narrow. (I tried searching this forum, but kept getting a memory error returned).

Thanks in advance,

Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

They are junk!

Stay away from them.
    They will wear out your cassette body faster than you can say Shimano.

Do yourself a favor & take your wheel down to your LBS.
    Have them test fit a new Shimano Cassette like your M760 on your cassette body. Notice the horrible sloppiness & the horizontal play.

Then have them test fit an SRAM P970 or P990 on it.
    Take notice how well the SRAM fits & has practically no play.
    SRAM is a no brainer.
    Shimano is a scam.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Chris king, AM classic (same as your WTB hubs) and Shimano all have shims available to fix this problem. Shimano says it's not their fault, but it very clearly is.

Try contact shimano, i have heard them giving the shims out for free under 'warranty'.

The shim goes on first beofre the cassette, so closest to the wheel

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Chris king, AM classic (same as your WTB hubs) and Shimano all have shims available to fix this problem. Shimano says it's not their fault, but it very clearly is.
    How can you say it's clearly Shimano's problem if the cassettes fit on some hubs, but not others? It sounds like the hubs are the inconsistancy to me. Not trying to push either cassette, both SRAM and Shimano fit my hubs, a King, a DT/Hayes, and a Shimano XT.

Monte

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    How can you say it's clearly Shimano's problem if the cassettes fit on some hubs, but not others? It sounds like the hubs are the inconsistancy to me. Not trying to push either cassette, both SRAM and Shimano fit my hubs, a King, a DT/Hayes, and a Shimano XT.

Monte

I'm willing to bet the SRAM fits better

As for the thims that were mentioned, those are cassette spacers not shims.
    Although these will typically ban-aid the side to side play, they won't do shiite for the horizontal or orbital play in the cassette caririer.

Shimano is just sloppy junk compared to SRAM.

viva la v-brakes!

Quick fix

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this trouble.

The problem is in the smallest cog, the ribbing that matches ribbing on the cassette body (there's got to be a better term for that, but I don't know what it is) doesn't go deep enough on the small cog for it to clamp down all the way onto the rest of the cassette. At least that the way it is on the King hubs I have.

To fix this, simply toss out this new small cog and take the smallest cog off your old LX cassette and put it on with your new cassette.

Or go to the shop and get a spacer, how wide of a spacer are we talking about here?

I wonder if a little creative dremmeling could solve this problem too?

As for the SRAM vs Shimano thing, I can't wait to buy a SRAM cassette, I just hope they can get their weights down some more, their top of the line 990 still weighs more then the XT (and costs more too). But it does seems they've done a good job improving their cassettes since I last bought a tank of a SRAM cassette in early 2003.
    Last edited by FishMan473; 10-29-2005 at 09:28 PM. Reason: nonsensical
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak

Try contact shimano, i have heard them giving the shims out for free under 'warranty'.

The shim goes on first beofre the cassette, so closest to the wheel
    Thanks. Yeah, later that day I remembered I received a shim along with my wheels and a note that I might need it with some cassettes. It isn't very thick at all but snugged up the cassette perfectly.

Dave