mtbr member

XT Front Derailleur High clamp type-what's that mean?

I just bought a new XT front derailleur on price point. Specifically it's a 2002 XT mega-9 bottom pull, 1 3/8",m751. On the box it says wider link and then "High Clamp design". That I think might be the problem. Where it needs to clamp onto the seat tube is so high it's between two bottle cage screws. I don't use water bottles so that's not the problem. I'm just wondering if this will cause any onforseen problems in the future. Oh by the way the frame is a 97 s-works m-2, 18". I've gotten it installed and it seams to want to work. I need to install a new slightly longer cable. I get so impatient when I buy new parts I put them on immediatly. The cable is slightly too short so it won't shift into the smallest ring, but should after I put the longer cable on tomorrow. Anyway...did I buy the wrong derailleur or will this work? While I'm on it what's the differance between top and bottom swing? I know what top and bottom pull are, but what does the swing have to do with it? I think I've seen top and bottom pull in both top and bottom swing varieties. Also what is the point of the "high clamp design"? Thanks for any help in advance.
    Last edited by otis24; 09-14-2004 at 12:06 PM.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Okay so I installed the new cable, adjusted it all that. It's a huge improvement over the old one that I'd taken off my old frame so it had to have been 8 or 9 years old. I'd still like some info if anyone has any.
    I like to ride bikes.

A Midwesterner in Europe
    Sep 2004
    You said it's a Bottom Pull, but what "Swing" is it? You alsl mentioned "high clamp", so I'm gonna venture to say that it's a Bottom Pull Bottom Swing.

Your bike might need a Bottom Pull Top Swing, which is a more compact design. Bikes with rear suspension designs where the rear shock is on the seat tube sometimes use the "Top Swing" design. Cable routing will determine what pull you need and the frame will determine what swing. Does the new derailleur look similar to the old one?

On the shifting problem, loosen the cable, shift the rear cassette into the largest cog and put the chain on the little ring. Turn the "Low" limit screw till the inner plate is about 1-2 mm from the chain while in that combo. Make sure you have the barrel adjuster on the front shifter out a full turn before you tighten the cable, that way you have room to adjust. Then re-tighten the cable. I'd recommend the new cable, it's always nice to use new ones, that way you're almost assured crisp shifting.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Thanks j.king
    Now I know what swing is for what and I've got the wrong one. I got it all tuned and it works really well. I agree with the new cable, I'm always amazed at what a new one can do for your bike. The derailleur works wonderfully. My old one functioned well, but it would rattle so much and make a ton of noise. I can actually hear the hub ticking and the sounds of the forest again. The action is so smooth. I don't think I'm going to replace it. I'm just going to stick with the top swing even though bottom swing would be better. I'm planning on getting another mountain bike next year. I'll keep this one, but it's not super important to have the 100% correct part so long as it works. Also I've used this one on two longish rides already and the only way I could get rid of it is ebay. I'll keep it until it wears out like the last one. Oh and no it doesn't look like the other one, like you said more compact, but it works well. Thanks again.
    I like to ride bikes.