mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. XT Front Derailleur and 2x8 Questions

I've been having some problems with chain rub on my XT front derailleur. For the record, the derailleur is installed and adjusted correctly. I think the issue stems from my use of an 8 speed chain with a derailleur designed for a 9 speed system. I thought about slipping a washer where the cage connects together, will that work? I have also been considering changing my 3x8 setup to a 2x8 setup as I don't use the big ring all that much. Would someone out there that uses a 2x8 setup give me their eperiences with it? Would changing to the 2x8 setup help with the chain rub? I guess my final inquiry would be is the chain rub really harmful? I mean other than some cosmetic scratching on my derailleur cage and probably some premature wear on my chain (does it amount much?).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

One more thing...

I forgot to mention that I also thought about slapping on a 9 speed chain. Any problems with that if I have 8 speed cassette? It would also give me an excuse to get a SRAM chain instead of this frustrating POJ Shimano!

LTS
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There is no problem using a 9sp chain on a 8sp cassette. Using a correct chain is more important on the front chainrings.
    Since you ask if you can run a SRAM-chain I guess you are using a Shimano cassette. I run a 9sp SRAM chain on a 8sp Shimano cassette without any problems (derailleurs and crankset are Shimano 9sp).

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Do you have a front shifter that has small click adjustments so you can move the front derailuer a little in whatever direction it needs to go to stop the rubbing?

On my 3x9 bikes, I have to 'trim' up the front derailuer as I shift accross the rear cogs to keep the chain from rubbing the front derailuer cage. This is with a 9-speed chain and 9-speed derailuer, and the other bike is all 7-speed, but both act the same as far as cage/chain rubbing is concerned.

To answer your question about going 2x8, if it's rubbing now, it will still be rubbing with one less chainring on the front. The number of front chainrings isn't the cause of the problem.

On that note, my 1x9 bike is a joy to ride because there is no front derailuer and I shift wherever I want on the rear cogs without the chain rubbing on anything . That was one of the reasons for going 1x9, I was tired of constantly fiddling with the front shifter and was only using the big and small rings very rarely. Most of the time, the front derailuer and shifter weren't doing anything for me and were just going along for the ride. After going on so many rides in a row where I never shifted out of the middle ring, I decided it was time to say goodbye to the other 2 rings and the shifter and derailuer. Going 1x9 dropped about a pound of extra weight off the bike too .

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nope, I have the SRAM Attack Triggers and the L shifter is of the indexing type.

Thanks for your reply though, I'm seriously giving thought to going to 1x8...

1x9'er
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by prevetdan
    Nope, I have the SRAM Attack Triggers and the L shifter is of the indexing type.

Thanks for your reply though, I'm seriously giving thought to going to 1x8...
    If you decide to go 1x8, wide-ratio rear gearing is a must. I have an 11-34 cassette with a 32t ring up front and I use all 9 gears every time I ride. I'm considering going with a 30 up front cause sometimes 32-34 just isn't quite enough toward the end of a hard ride.

On the derailuer problem, you may cosider switching to a grip shifter for the front, as you can 'trim' the derailuer with most twist shifters. Some trigger shifters are trimable too. I have some Shimano Deore triggers here, which I generally dis-like, but they are trimable on the front, which is their only saving grace, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    sort of related-
    i run 26 and 36t rings up front with bashguard, and 11-34 cassette. i find it ideal- never ever need lower gears; never need higher (except on pavement). they're not too common but any bike shop can order them in various qualities (deore, lx, and xt i think) from QBP. with the double i can use a short cage (GS) XT rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good job! This Is What I Did...

After looking around on the net at the parts I'd need to order to set up my bike as a 1x8 and as a 2x8 I decided to live with it as a 3x8, even if I don't use the extra chainrings much, they're there if I need them (Boy Scout at heart). So I sat down with my bike and had a heart to heart with the derailleurs. I managed to get them shifting very dreamily with only a very slight amount of rub when in a certain few cog/chainring combinations. I noticed that the cables have stretched a good amount over the last week or so leading to some crappy shifting (compounding my chainrub problem with the front derailleur) and so I retightened them, but it made me wonder...how much should an average cable stretch before it finally "settles in"?

Later Days
    Daniel