mtbr member
    Oct 2004

xt front der problem

i'm trying to dial in the fd on a bike i just built. ti ht with the following. x.0 rd, x.0 grip shifters, sram 69 chain, sram 970 cassette, blackspire super pro chain rings.

i'm using the deore xt fd. followed the directions carefully to set it up (several times in fact) i take it out and ride it around just to try it and at some point it drops the chain to the inside while shifting to the granny. the last time i wasn't even on the bike. had picked up the rear wheel and spun the pedals to shift it and boom. it won't do it on the workstand though. shifts great there. doesn't do it every time either. doesn't seem to matter if i'm pedaling hard or easy.

am i missing something? i don't have much experience but it doesn't seem like it should be all that hard.

thanks

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by daverk
    i'm trying to dial in the fd on a bike i just built. ti ht with the following. x.0 rd, x.0 grip shifters, sram 69 chain, sram 970 cassette, blackspire super pro chain rings.

i'm using the deore xt fd. followed the directions carefully to set it up (several times in fact) i take it out and ride it around just to try it and at some point it drops the chain to the inside while shifting to the granny. the last time i wasn't even on the bike. had picked up the rear wheel and spun the pedals to shift it and boom. it won't do it on the workstand though. shifts great there. doesn't do it every time either. doesn't seem to matter if i'm pedaling hard or easy.

am i missing something? i don't have much experience but it doesn't seem like it should be all that hard.
    Things to check.
    Is the lower limit set wrong? Check here and see if you're setting it properly.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...railleur.shtml

Did you replace the crank or BB? If so, you could have changed the chain line which could be causing the problem.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/clg2.shtml

You mentioned "super pro chain rings". Did you replace just the chain rings? Do you have them on backwards?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

lower limit is set to...

about .5mm per the directions. everything is new. i don't think you can put the chain rings on backwards...at least all the printing is facing out.

don't have a chainline checker but measured it as accurately as i could and i think it's good.

it just occurred to me. i'm using a 22-32-44 setup. is it possible that having the fd high enough to clear the 44 makes it too high for the 22? i've read of others using this setup so i would think it's ok though.