mtbr member

XT FH-M760 freewheel

Hey all,

I'm trying to remove the freewheel body from the hub to clean out the internals and relube. I'm to the point where I removed the bearings on the left side and it looks like I can remove the bearings on the drive side. But I can't see how to remove the freewheel body. There's no bolt on the inside to undo. I couldn't find anything online showing anything passed what I've done so far. Is this one of those bodies that you aren't suppose to dismantle?

Any ideas?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    "It's not lacking any meat. That's what real women need."

- Quiznos Subs

You should find a 10mm hex wrench will fit in there and undo the bolt securing the freehub (not freewheel).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aahh. Got it. Still a noob..

Thanks man.
    "It's not lacking any meat. That's what real women need."

- Quiznos Subs

the catalan connection
    And then you will get the freehub body off the wheel, but not yet have acces to its internals.Well, youŽll have acces to the bearings at the back of the freehub by removing the seal, which is always good to check.
    To get inside the freehub you need a special tool that fits the 2 slots at the bearing race outside edge (right next to the bearings on your picture, behind the dust cover that youŽll need to remove too, and probably smash ), leave the race partly unscrewed (actually just unlocked), then remove the freehub from the wheel with the 10 mm hex mentioned and go on with the freehub deassembly when its off the wheel.

I asked where to get the tool for removing the race of the freehub (tooltime)and posters answers stated that is no longer available, so is going to be a matter of luck to get to a shop that has one and is willing to sell it...
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    And then you will get the freehub body off the wheel, but not yet have acces to its internals.Well, youŽll have acces to the bearings at the back of the freehub by removing the seal, which is always good to check.
    To get inside the freehub you need a special tool that fits the 2 slots at the bearing race outside edge (right next to the bearings on your picture, behind the dust cover that youŽll need to remove too, and probably smash ), leave the race partly unscrewed (actually just unlocked), then remove the freehub from the wheel with the 10 mm hex mentioned and go on with the freehub deassembly when its off the wheel.

I asked where to get the tool for removing the race of the freehub (tooltime)and posters answers stated that is no longer available, so is going to be a matter of luck to get to a shop that has one and is willing to sell it...
    is this it?
    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...4&item=SPA%2D2

the catalan connection
    No,but look at this I have found

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=45

See the exploded view ? (second picture) at the right end there is the bearing race alone, and if you look closer youŽll see thereŽs a slot (and another one opposite from that not visible)
    Well, is the tool that fits there. Looks quite diff from the one you posted, more like a cassette lockring remover or such, high torquing required

as I have read, Park just says is not recomended to disassemble a freehub...I wonder if they would say the same if had the tool still available....
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot