Future Rainbow Jersey

XT F. Der. install question

Ok boys, another quagmire in the on going epic of building my new bike.

I've attempted to install the derailleur like the one pictured below. My clearance seems good in relation to the chainrings. I connected the cable from the shifter to the derailleur. When I went to try to shift, nothing happens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Hmmm

Can you move it freely with your hand when the cable is not connected?

The only things I can think of that wouldn't let the derailleur move when connected to a shifter are: either the cable is comming from the wrong way (ie top when it is a bottom pull model) or that the cable isn't attatched tight and it is just slipping in the bolt when you shift.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Also, check the outward travel adjustment screw. Make sure it's backed off enough.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thats a bottom pull derailleur. Is the cable pulling from the top or the bottom?

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Ok. Here's what I have: the derailleur is an XT bottom pull and the frame is a GF X-Cal.

You guys definitely hit on to something: I did route the cable throught the top. So that's my first problem. However, given that picture, how would one route the cable from the bottom? I only see one way the cable can be connected to the derailleur and I can't seem to find any good diagrams showing how it should be routed.

Oh yeah, I left the SRAM X.7 shifter on the bike as I was under the impression that it would work with any shimano front der. (the front derailleur I removed was a Shimano Deore).

mtbr member

You can't...

route the cable through the bottom on your frame. You have the WRONG derailleur for your frame. You need one with the same clamp size but in a top pull model. SRAM shifters work fine with Shimano front derailleurs...you just need to get the right one.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    route the cable through the bottom on your frame. You have the WRONG derailleur for your frame. You need one with the same clamp size but in a top pull model. SRAM shifters work fine with Shimano front derailleurs...you just need to get the right one.
    I believe the Deore f.d. that was previously on the bike was a bottom pull. The cable ran down, had to bent around some kind of routing path on the derailleur and up to the bolt that attaches the cable to the derailleur.

Plus, when I asked one of the guys from GF, they told me I needed a bottom pull FD.

Any GF hardtail 29er owners out there know the appropriate FD?

mtbr member

Some Deore...

deraileurs are designed to fit all bikes...they are a universal top/bottom pull and have the biggest seat tube clamp size with shims to fit the smaller seat tubes (if needed). Some of the newer XT and LX models work this way too. You might run into clearance problems with these derailleurs and the rear tire on a 29er since these rear ders are really big and clunky.

My 2002 Mt. Tam 29er definitely needs a top pull front derailluer...the guy at GF mis-spoke. You could put the Deore back in it...if you still have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggurat22
    I believe the Deore f.d. that was previously on the bike was a bottom pull. The cable ran down, had to bent around some kind of routing path on the derailleur and up to the bolt that attaches the cable to the derailleur.

Plus, when I asked one of the guys from GF, they told me I needed a bottom pull FD.

Any GF hardtail 29er owners out there know the appropriate FD?
    If your previous derailleur was a bottom pull, I'd imagine that you should have some sort of plastic cable guide screwed onto the bottom of your bottom bracket.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    That's correct. Your rear derailleur cable will also route itself through this cable guide if you are set with a bottom pull frt derailleur. Nater is also correct in his frt derailleur comments, though I believe the frt derailleur he speaks of is a top swinger. The bottom swinger you have pictured has a far stronger cage without all the inherent cage slop of a top swinger. Just my 2 cents of course.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Thanks for the info. guys.

Upon further inspection, it's definitely the wrong FD. I nipped this whole problem in the bud the other day and bought a SRAM X-Gen front derailleur, dual pull and can fit multiple tube sizes for $15. It's the same as the XT FD-M761 that was suggested, only for less dough. How can I go wrong?