mtbr member
    Sep 2007

XT dual shifters...

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a bike equipped with XT dual shifters.For those with them,how do you like them and how long befor you were comfortable with them?If I don't come to like these and change the shifters over to XTR's should I also change the RD from XT to XTR or will the XT perform good with this(XTR) shifter?

ballbuster

Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a bike equipped with XT dual shifters.For those with them,how do you like them and how long befor you were comfortable with them?If I don't come to like these and change the shifters over to XTR's should I also change the RD from XT to XTR or will the XT perform good with this(XTR) shifter?
    All the Shimano stuff is interchangeable, except for 8 speed Dura Ace which I have a lot of first hand knowledge. Ugh.

I test rode a Cannondale Jeckyl at a demo days event equipped with a rapid rise XT dual control gearing setup. I thought I was going to hate it. It turns out after a couple miles of a lot of shifting, I found it to be second nature. My only real critique would be that you can't (couldn't?) dump a whole lot of gears at once into an easy gear, like if you rounded a tight corner at a good clip and found a super steep grind up and needed a low gear right away. I only put about 10 miles on the bike in under an hour, so I don't know if it would strain any muscles in your hands during an epic 5+ hour ride. I suspect that is possible.

I don't own a set, but I am tempted to get some LX flippy shifters for my race hardtail to try them out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... My only real critique would be that you can't (couldn't?) dump a whole lot of gears at once into an easy gear, like if you rounded a tight corner at a good clip and found a super steep grind up and needed a low gear right away.....
    I thought it would be a problem too but it turned out to be a non-issue, or almost, for me anyway. Downshifting is pretty much effortless, fast, and precise if we are talking rapid rise here, making 3-4 quick clicks in succession with the thumb lever can be done very fast and sort of addresses the lack of multi-gear downshift. Some folks remove the thumb lever but I like to keep it because I can down shift with it faster than using the brake lever. From the other side you can upshift a lot quicker as you can drop 3 (or 4?) cogs at once with just one lever push, so when starting a descent after a climb you can get into higher gear faster. Overall I'm happy with them but would not miss them much if I had to switch to standard.

mtbr member
    My '06 Trek 8500 HT came with XT dual shifters and XT everything else. My '07 Intense 5.5 EVP was built with SRAM X9 and X0. XT dual shifters are very intuitive, never had a single problem, and is smooth as a baby's butt. My SRAM stuff feels definitely more positive but makes all kinds of noise (I adjust them regularly) and feels clunky. Definitely can't go wrong with dual shifters. If money permits, I'll be changing the components on my Intense.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar
    I thought it would be a problem too but it turned out to be a non-issue, or almost, for me anyway. Downshifting is pretty much effortless, fast, and precise if we are talking rapid rise here, making 3-4 quick clicks in succession with the thumb lever can be done very fast and sort of addresses the lack of multi-gear downshift. Some folks remove the thumb lever but I like to keep it because I can down shift with it faster than using the brake lever. From the other side you can upshift a lot quicker as you can drop 3 (or 4?) cogs at once with just one lever push, so when starting a descent after a climb you can get into higher gear faster. Overall I'm happy with them but would not miss them much if I had to switch to standard.
    +1

I'm convinced that RR works better than conventional derailleur designs. When downshifting multiple gears with a conventional rear derailleur you swing that thumb lever through an arc and pop off three gears. You feel resistance because the derailleur cage is cramming the chain against the next larger cassette cog and it won't shift until it either hits a ramp cut into the next gear that lifts the chain up to the next cog or you drive the chain on to the next cog in a way that causes the chain to ride up on top of the teeth. This causes clunky shifting or, worse, the chain rides along the tops of the teeth for a few revs before moving up to the next cog or you have to wait for the chain to find a ramp to ride up to the next gear.

When you do the same shift with a RR derailleur, you stroke the trigger three times then you let the spring pull the chain into the ramps and let the ramps do their job. Shifts are solid and uneventful. You can rattle off three shifts about as quickly as a conventional derailleur can but without the drama of the chain riding up on top of the cogs.

mtbr member

i just put these on my bike.

I don't have any feedback yet but I do have a question. The brake levers don't feel as snappy on the return as I would like. Can you adjust the leverage on the brake to make it feel more responsive? (Disclaimer: I have not read the manual)
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gthcarolina
    I don't have any feedback yet but I do have a question. The brake levers don't feel as snappy on the return as I would like. Can you adjust the leverage on the brake to make it feel more responsive? (Disclaimer: I have not read the manual)
    Are the brakes hydraulic or mechanical? Not sure about the latter but hydraulics don't offer much adjustability - only level reach. If it is new disk brake pads and rotors wait until the pads are bedded in, then braking action will improve by a magnitude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Lx

I too was skeptical about getting the dual shifters, having only riden rapid shifters for years and years. I found a set of brand new LX dual shifters for cheap and decided to buy them to try them. If I didn't like them, I'll just return them.

Turns out I actually like them. I was concerned about too much "play" in the brake/shift lever, but it is build solid. The up and down shifting motion is really easy and doesn't take any time to get use to.

The only downside of the shifters are its tough to dump a bunch of gears if I hit a sudden downhill. On my rapid shifters I could just use my index finger to dump gears. On these duals, there is an option to use your thumb to dump gears if you wanted to.

I love how its so easy to shift without changing my hand position with the duels. With all that said, if I switched back to rapid shifters today, I wouldn't be sad or miss my dual shifters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by krazymad
    The only downside of the shifters are its tough to dump a bunch of gears if I hit a sudden downhill. On my rapid shifters I could just use my index finger to dump gears. On these duals, there is an option to use your thumb to dump gears if you wanted to.
    Hmm, I can upshift like 3 (or 4?) gears with one lever push (down). This is XT, is LX any different?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I like them. Sometimes when I brake, I accidentally downshift but that is user error.

Giggitty giggitty!!
    I love mine! I have had XTR DCL's since 2003... no complaints at all ... Now that Shimano has come out with their new XTR & XT Duals with shorter shift throws, and XTR in both spring versions you can choose which way you want to dump gears - high or low! love the options!

At Work
    got a question, do the dual control use standard deraileur or rapid rise??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    got a question, do the dual control use standard deraileur or rapid rise??
    Does not matter- work with either style deraileur.
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Does not matter- work with either style deraileur.
    Yes, but Shimano recommend rapid rise for dual control, then a down push on either side will result in a "bigger/harder" gear.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I've been using XTR dual control levers since 2004 and have been very happy with them functionally. They work well and are very intuitive to use.

About two years ago I moved to Northern New Jersey and anyone who knows the area will verify that the terrain can get very rocky and technical. Accordingly, my riding has become more aggressive. I have had a few scares because of my dual control levers. I have more than once virtually lost control of my brakes as the levers tend to move in my hands as I bounce around or apply downward pressure upon a front fork bottom out. Simply put I think they are great for more rolling type terrain or racing but not for aggressive riding.

With the above as motivation, I have just replaced my dual controls with the new XTR trigger shifters and a set of XT Servo Wave brake levers.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

At Work
    so, with a std deraileur now, using the dual controls if I push down now and I am in say middle ring on the rear cog, instead of shifting up to a 26 tooth, it would actually go down to one of the smaller tooth gears?
    never ridden a bike with the DC on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    so, with a std deraileur now, using the dual controls if I push down now and I am in say middle ring on the rear cog, instead of shifting up to a 26 tooth, it would actually go down to one of the smaller tooth gears?
    never ridden a bike with the DC on it.
    If you disconnect the cable on a "conventional" derailleur and turn the cranks the chain will move to the smallest cog. The spring is setup to move the derailleur outwards. This is called "High Normal". The other type or "unconventional" derailleur is called "Low Normal". The spring will push it towards the big rear cog or lowest gear. Pulling the cable in by pushing down on the dual control lever moves the chain to a higher/harder gear.

If you used a High Normal derailleur pushing down on the dual control will pull in cable and move the derailleur up to a bigger cog and a lower gear.

Keep in mind that there is only one type of front derailleur. Pushing down (pulling in cable) moves the chain onto a bigger chain ring which is a harder gear. Therefore a Low Normal derailleur is more intuitive. Personally, I prefer them and use them with trigger shifters as well. Actuating the thumb lever will always give me a higher gear with both derailleurs.

Ronnie.

banned
    Nov 2007
    question,can one use the dual control with 8sp.I know the spaceing is differant,so any feeback would help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ERCAT
    question,can one use the dual control with 8sp.I know the spaceing is differant,so any feeback would help
    No, there are no dual control shifters indexed for eight speed cassettes as far as I know. It would be the same as any other nine speed shifter.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Yes, but Shimano recommend rapid rise for dual control, then a down push on either side will result in a "bigger/harder" gear.

Ronnie.
    Yes, but they work equally well with either type derailleur- I have used both with them. I have also found that I could care less if the front and rear levers move the same way for a harder gear, but then I have four bikes that all shift differently- rapid fire, dual-control, road down tube shifters and road STI.

I tried the low normal deraileur and found that I prefer the high-normal deraileur- never could get use pulling up for a down shift. I never really like the way the road STI worked so I put the low-normal deraileur on the road bike and found that I really like it in that application (I use mountain deraileurs and cassettes on the road bike because I live in the mountains 16-20% grades all over)
    I bike; therefore, I work