mtbr member
    Jun 2005

XT cranks, pedal x-threaded first ride!!

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share my current situation and see what advice people have.

2 Days ago I purchased some new XT x-type cranks (M-752?) from my LBS. I was tempted to buy online, but I like to support my LBS wherever possible. Essentially I ended up paying the same price I could have got online, just without the chainrings (which I didn't need as I was running a single 38 tooth which I already own).

Anyway doing some shuttle runs at the local DH course yesterday and I noticed some strange play in what I thought was the BB area, driveside mainly. I had been keeping an eye on the cranks all day since I had never installed X-types, and wanted to make sure nothing came loose. I stopped to check over the bearings and crank interface and could find nothing. About 500 metres further down the trail it got really bad so I stopped and had a closer look to find that my driveside pedal was hanging halfway out of the crank!

Anyway the pedal is fine, but my brand new cranks are essentially screwed. I followed the installation instructions and greased the pedal threads before insertion. Three people looked over the cranks before I started the ride, and I remember triple checking the torque on the pedals. IMO this should not happen to a high end component so quickly, so I am returning them to my LBS today for warranty.

Hopefully I will get warranty (the clincher of buying it from LBS without chainrings) and the moral of this story will be to support your LBS! Will update when I get back from the shop. The pedals are expensive Tioga (Moto I think) flats.

If you screwed them up, why is it a warranty item? Cross threading is an installation problem...

ps Everyone's bound to do it sometime...
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 01-15-2006 at 11:15 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique