Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XT crank creaking! Help!

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  boscoboy 
#1 ·
Hello all!
I have a new XT crank (less than 80 miles) with a creaking problem!
Noise is definitely coming from BB, not pedals.
Installed it myself and of course made sure there was plenty of grease on the BB...
Funny part is that it doesn't do it as much at the beginning of the ride, but as time goes on, so does the noise! Pedaling hard definitely makes it worse; not much noise at low loads.
Do I have a bad BB?
Thanks!

#4 ·
Well, more details help. Which XT crank? Probably external type, but would probably be best you not only specify the crank but just what you did during install, details! You've eliminated other sources of noise how? Grinding noise is not good on a new crank/bb...

#5 ·
Do you have a full suspension frame? I had a creaking coming from my bottom bracket area and as it turned out it was seized lower pivot bearings. This is on my Horst link Stumpjumper FSR.

If not, remove the crank/BB and reassemble. Make sure you lightly grease anything with threads on it. Also check your seatpost - it's the most common source of creaking and it sits awfully close to the BB. Grease it up and reinsert.

#6 ·
The bike is all a brand new build Titus FTM...
The noise is absolutely dependent on torque being applied to pedals, not suspension movement. I removed the seat/seat post and went for a ride with it off; nothing changed!
I'm 99% sure the BB is the culprit.
I took it apart and reassembled it as I thought it has too much preload (from the olastic outer nut). This didn't change a thing.
When I remove it, the bearings feel new as they should... I suppose I can send the thing back for exchange as I'm completely stumped at this point.
Thanks again!

#7 ·
I would eliminate all other sources of a creaking noise before sending the crank back. I have been certain that a creaking is coming from the bottom bracket, removed it repeatedly, re-greased, etc., only to find the creaking persisted. Other possibilities are the headset, rear quick release and pedals. It sounds like you have checked the seat clamp, which is easy to eliminate. I found tightening the rear quick release solved my creak that I swore was coming from the bottom bracket. Good luck.

#8 ·
I had same problem recently with a Race Face Atlas AM. I cursed and reinstalled it for 2 days, i greased every bolt on the chainring including between the chainring, i relubbed the pedals. I finally reinstalled the bracket one last time (my third time) with teflon and Phil Wood grease and it was still doing that little creak when i pushed hard on the crank, it seemed like it was coming from the bracket all along. In a desperate last attempt i unclipped the rear quick release, made it a little less tight and clipped it back on and the noise was gone. So i lubbed it and called it a day.

#9 ·
Used torque wrench you say? I'm guessing on two small pinch bolts not on the preload dial. In case, you shouldn't use a wrench on the preload - only finger tight to tighten just enough to secure the cranks, with minimal side load. Then tighten the pinch bolts with wrench. I'm sure that's what you did, but just in case.

I had a constant creak as I pedaled and repacked BB many times, and one day I popped FSA Orbit headset and found that was the cause - dry bearings were creaking with every pedal strokes. I swore it was coming from BB area - but i was wrong.

#11 ·
I once thought I had a creaking crankset. Retorqued and greased and the noise was still there. Checked pedals, seatpost and suspension. Weeks later I changed the rear wheel. Noise disappeared. I couldn't believe it. So I put the old wheel back on and the creak was back. Its funny how those creaking noises travel.....

#12 ·
this is my fix that has worked for my bike and my mates bikes

Remove the bb and clean the threads on both the cups and the bb shell, then apply a generous amount of high pressure anti seize on them, and put some high temp bearing grease on the axle and reinstall everything, oh and also put anti sieze on your pedal threads

This has made the creak go away and never return on the bikes ive dont it on, and they all cop a fair amount of thrashing

#13 ·
gregdr said:
I once thought I had a creaking crankset. Retorqued and greased and the noise was still there. Checked pedals, seatpost and suspension. Weeks later I changed the rear wheel. Noise disappeared. I couldn't believe it. So I put the old wheel back on and the creak was back. Its funny how those creaking noises travel.....
same here - i once had a loose rear spoke that i was convinced was a BB problem - cheaper fix tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.