mtbr member
    May 2004

XT Chainring bolt torques?

I was torquing my chain rings last night to 70in/lbs -- all of the bolts are good except one - when I get to 60 in/lbs is starts to rotate -- is this an issue? There is an insert on the other side of the chain ring that accepts the bolt. I was checking this because I have some drivetrain noise during my last ride that only occurs when I was putting power to the pedals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eman2
    I was torquing my chain rings last night to 70in/lbs -- all of the bolts are good except one - when I get to 60 in/lbs is starts to rotate -- is this an issue?
    Zinn's book says to torque aluminum chainring bolts to 44 in-lbs and steel chainring bolts to 60-100 in-lbs. So... it's possible that you've overtorqued all of the bolts. (The chainring bolts on my Shimano XT crankset aren't attracted to a magnet - I assume this means that they're aluminum.)
    There is an insert on the other side of the chain ring that accepts the bolt.
    The Park CNW-1 can be used to hold that part securely.
    I was checking this because I have some drivetrain noise during my last ride that only occurs when I was putting power to the pedals.
    Also check the bottom bracket and pedals.

ಠ_ಠ
    The Park Tool site says to tighten Al Chainring bolts 44-88 inch pounds.

I have mine, FSA T-30s at 75 inch pounds.

The FSA website shows a torque value of 104 inch pounds for their Al chainring bolts.
    Last edited by dulyebr; 02-08-2006 at 04:29 PM.