mtbr member
    Dec 2005

XT 8Spd Pods With 9SPD XT Derailluer

Can I use a new 9 speed XT rear Derailluer with older 8spd shifter pods ?

Freshly Fujified

You should be OK

Just make sure it's not a rapid rise derailleur, as the shifting will be opposite (e.g 8 on your shift indicator will be 1 on the cassette, and vice versa). I am running a set of XT integrated 8 speed shifter/levers with a 9 speed LX derailleur and it's fine.

FWIW, if you want an 8 speed XT derailleur, you can still get them new from places like jonesbikes on ebay. They also have a brick and morar store in CA if you don't care to buy online.

Best wishes,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Elitest thrill junkie
    No problem, that will work fine.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Chrome Toaster
    8 speed and 9 speed derailleurs are one and the same rapid rise or high normal. The total cassette spacing for 8 and 9 speed is the same and since the indexing is performed by the shifter the derailleur has no impact.

uber-lurker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    8 speed and 9 speed derailleurs are one and the same rapid rise or high normal. The total cassette spacing for 8 and 9 speed is the same and since the indexing is performed by the shifter the derailleur has no impact.
    Is this also true for 7 speed derailleurs, or do they not travel enough (even with limit screws maxed out) to reach all nine gears?
    Thanks.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Seven spd derailleurs will work fine too.

mtbr member
    The derailleur doesn't know what travel it is - it just does what the shifter cable tells it to do - so they all work on all cassettes. The shifter makes the decisions.

uber-lurker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wddamf
    The derailleur doesn't know what travel it is - it just does what the shifter cable tells it to do - so they all work on all cassettes. The shifter makes the decisions.
    Understood - I thought maybe the parallelogram of the 7 speed rear might be too short for the as-yet-unthought-of additional width of the 8/9 speed cassette.
    But a 7 speed rear won't work on all cassettes, correct? They still must stay within certain max and min teeth? Or is that just a matter of cage length?
    Thanks for any clarification.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

That Is Just A Matter Of Cage Length

Or rather a matter of which gears you shift into.